• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What media do you prefer for wrapping vehicles?

Brennen

Hi all, I was wondering what some of you prefer to use when printing/laminating and installing vehicle wraps? I prefer Arlon SLX but we are having static issues with it that no other media seems to have...

stew1tx

Centex Wraps and Signs
HAHA you are opening up a can of worms here. Ford vs Chevy. That being said, I have been a 3m guy for quite a while, even going through their program, but with the last few years I feel that Avery has surpassed 3m where adhesives are concerned. I used to have problems with over saturated prints leaving visible air channel ghosting or bubbles that would not come out no matter what you did short of yanking back up and laying it down again. That is the cv3 adhesive line. With Avery I have NEVER had that issue. I also feel that is is more stable more position-able but once you lay in hard and heat like in corners of the hood, avery bites harder quicker for better longer lasting corners. FYI, do not use the 3m adhesion promoter on avery products as some of them will see degredation of adhesive. I use Pro bond there. Not saying I do not use 3, because I do on boats. I am going to try the new avery product after I use what material I have in stock for boats.

Brennen

HAHA you are opening up a can of worms here. Ford vs Chevy. That being said, I have been a 3m guy for quite a while, even going through their program, but with the last few years I feel that Avery has surpassed 3m where adhesives are concerned. I used to have problems with over saturated prints leaving visible air channel ghosting or bubbles that would not come out no matter what you did short of yanking back up and laying it down again. That is the cv3 adhesive line. With Avery I have NEVER had that issue. I also feel that is is more stable more position-able but once you lay in hard and heat like in corners of the hood, avery bites harder quicker for better longer lasting corners. FYI, do not use the 3m adhesion promoter on avery products as some of them will see degredation of adhesive. I use Pro bond there. Not saying I do not use 3, because I do on boats. I am going to try the new avery product after I use what material I have in stock for boats.

Do you have any issues with the Avery laminate scratching during install even with suede buffer strips on the squeegee?

iraney

I've used them all and they all have their quirks but never really thought about what one I liked over the others learn their quirks and it wont matter.

AKwrapguy

Do you have any issues with the Avery laminate scratching during install even with suede buffer strips on the squeegee?

If you torch it for a quick second the scratches go away. You can also just leave it out in the hot sun for a few hours. The plasticizes will come back out and you'll be good to go. (fyi don't torch matte lam)

Brennen

If you torch it for a quick second the scratches go away. You can also just leave it out in the hot sun for a few hours. The plasticizes will come back out and you'll be good to go. (fyi don't torch matte lam)

Leaving it in the sun makes those go away? That's good to know. Thanks!

AKwrapguy

Hi all, I was wondering what some of you prefer to use when printing/laminating and installing vehicle wraps? I prefer Arlon SLX but we are having static issues with it that no other media seems to have...

It all depends on what your comfortable with and are willing to stand behind. There's also the rare occurrence of projects requiring specific material. We're a 3M shop, but Oracal, Avery and from what I'm told Hexis all make fine films. I personally have not had good experience with Arlon but that's my two cents

spooledUP7

I like 3M 180CV with their 8548 laminate. I sell this when the customer wants the best. Avery 1105 with 1360 is my go to for most wraps though because it's more affordable. Both print excellent on my HP260, and both install with similar experiences, but although I have never done a side by side comparison I do think Avery 1105 whites out more when stretched hot. This may be a result of the HP260 and Avery but it's not a deal breaker.

Now if you have an HP260 or earlier don't ever buy a roll of Avery 1005. First, I think this is a discontinued product, but second, this product is unprintable due to a residue issue. It may be due to old lots, but I have had nothing but problems where the print streaks wherever the residue is. I have had several rolls like this with 1005 ( but not all). Once I had no choice but to wipe the entire roll down three times with 91% isopropyl. It worked but there were still spots I missed and had to reprint.