• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What print cut solution for long prints

jeffkics

Sign Says
I am sure this question may have been already answered and I apologize. I am not sure how to word it / search for it.

I have a Roland versacamm, and get good results using the print cut out of versaworks up to about 48" in length. Anything over that and I have to break the file into separate ones, because it is just not accurate.
I cant tell you the amount of times I have tried to do a 36x60 or more only to have to do it again.
I have had an uptick in the amount of dump trucks coming in my doors and I would like to print cut longer runs. I am talking 48x144 or more with lots of text and graphics.

So my question is "what is the solution?"
Do I need to buy a cutter? if so which one? will i be able to print on my roland and then cut it on a cutter.

Can I get software that will cut on my versacamm with multiple registration marks to get that accuracy, or is it the versacamm that is at fault (thats my initial guess, that it just cant do the runs back and forth without going off)

I have had to go to that sign 365 place to do my big cuts. They are able able to do it. But I am tired of giving them my money.

Any help or link to other posts would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Jeff

mark galoob

There’s a few things to try
1. Slow the cutting way down to a crawl. That will help
2. There should be a setting in your software or on the cutter itself that will optimize your cut. So in other words it will cut more effencialy with out all the front to back movement
3. You might have to recalibrate
4. Get a separate cutter

I strongly reccomend the graphtec fc8600. I have one and love it. Have printed with my L360, laminated and then cut as much as 20' x 48" of graphics and words. Willing to bet it could do more than 20' with the tracking and eye.

FrankW

You should buy a Summa for the following reasons:

• Summas OPOS X works with up to 128 Markers, 64 on each side of the print, what improves accuracy on long distances significantly (Summacut, S-Class). The marker reading is much faster than on a Roland. Depending on the software which generates the markers (RIP) it is possible to set the number or interval of markers manually or automatically.
  • Summa can do panelled cutting, what means it will process multiple segments of one big job separately one after the other, e. g. the area between four markers (SummaCut, S-Class), what avoids long feed distances.
  • For the S-Class 140 and 160 is a take up roller available which rolls up every single job or every single panel (S-Class 140 and 160 only)
  • A Summa can process multiple jobs automatically with OPOS Barcode, a system with which the plotter recognizes itself the needed cutting file and poll it from the computer (SummaCut, S-Class), if the RIP-Software supports it. This will lead to that multiple jobs will not generate more manual work than one single job.
  • Summas have a repeatability of up to 12m (S-Class with media up to a width of 760mm), at minimum 4m on a Summacut with wide media.
  • It is possible to add pinch rollers to a S-Class to improve tracking security and accuracy

#racewraps

@printwithspeed
I’ve found for us with long diecuts separate machines seems to be the most accurate & efficient. We’ve always used Graphtec cutters and been very pleased with them overall. Roland as well (single cutter) hear very good things about Summa, haven’t used one yet though.

I usually arrange my print and cut decals on a 39" x 100" vinyl with registration marks, the error never exceeds 1/32" on 100" (mimaki cjv150)

woolly

your roland is capable but some things thou you have to think about.
are the pinch rollers in good condition and grit rollers clean.plus equal pressures. two rollers to print as many as possible when cutting
every time the knife enters the vinyl and every acute change of direction is the potential problem.
are knife and holder in good condition, with minimum amount of pressure to cut
3 mt of vinyl with backing paper and laminate is heavy and does not like to change direction quickly, slow up speed as well as down speed.
does the material buckle with heat if so turn in down, clean the bed so the material glides over it smoothly no nasty gouges in the cutting strip.
unfortunately the older roland (don't know about the new ones) stops looking for the reg marks after 3mts pressing pause will tell it to continue looking press enter and it will abort.
most of these things are important on any make of cutter, really all to do with reducing media shift while cutting.

IsItFasst

I'll second checking/replacing the pinch roller since they aren't expensive or hard to swap out. I had the same problem but it even started giving me issues if I had a bunch of cuts on a smaller sheet. Swapping out the rollers made it act like a new machine. I just did two 72 inch long print/cuts and they are perfect and the rollers are probably a year old at this point (I'm sure the originals were probably 8 years old (even though it isn't a heave use machine).

Mainframe

I suggest you get a good blade, slow it down, turn the heaters off BRFORE you load the vinyl, make sure there is no media loaded in the machine and nothing is back there to kick your material while your machine is cutting, clean pinch rollers and use bleeds in your designs, bleeds can save a lot of cut jobs

klingsdesigns

On our vp we made sure to use all rollers. Every so often redo a calibration for cutting in service mode then user mode. Also make sure you get registration ligned up as best as you can.

klingsdesigns

Also I would catch the vinyl cutting from front and the wife would stand behind and catch from back and that really helps. Did runs about 10 ft long.