• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What printable vinyl for snowboard wraps

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Hi all,

What printable vinyl would you use for snowboard wraps?
A client of ours used Avery MPI 2000 for their snowboard, while it had good adhesion they mentioned that the vinyl lost adhesion in the snow and started to peal.
So i'm wondering what would be a good vinyl for this job?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I've used 3M 180Cv3 in the past to wrap a wakeboard which would be similar I guess.
You could also try a high tack vinyl for even higher adhesion.
General Formulations GF201-HTAPAE can be sourced from Spicers or Amari Visual Solutions.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I've used 3M 180Cv3 in the past to wrap a wakeboard which would be similar I guess.
You could also try a high tack vinyl for even higher adhesion.
General Formulations GF201-HTAPAE can be sourced from Spicers or Amari Visual Solutions.
Thanks i'll have a look at those.
At this point just trying to give our client a hand.
Im stumped as the mpi2000 didn't hold in the cold as it's rated up to -40deg

rjssigns

Any good cast vinyl(we use Arlon), no lam, then bury in automotive high solids clear coat. It was a client request for his dump trucks, and I'll be dipped it works fantastic. He gets a high quality job and doesn't have to worry when Johnny trucker pressure washes the truck at the end of the day.

karst41

Hi all,

What printable vinyl would you use for snowboard wraps?
A client of ours used Avery MPI 2000 for their snowboard, while it had good adhesion they mentioned that the vinyl lost adhesion in the snow and started to peal.
So i'm wondering what would be a good vinyl for this job?

This is largely driven by the surface to which the vinyl is being applied to.

If you are applying to a Gel Coat (fiberglass), you should not have issue, but there are some that have silicates in the gell
for water concerns, and or how ever, there will Always be a final wet sanding and buffing.
Aint nothing gonna stick.

The surface must be prepped to remove all sillicates that are in the buffing compound,
I usually apply DX 330 wax and grease remover (PPG) or Acetone as a fast fast prep.
This is likely your problem, BUT You often will need a LSE vinyl (Low Surface Energy Media)
Such as 3m 3650, or 180 LES, of IJ 39 is the cheap 3m.

The Other option is to apply the lettering then seal it with Clear Coat.
First spray needs to be moderate.
when dry to touch you can blast away with the second coat.

I literally have Thousands over thousands of fleet installs on box trucks that have Gel coat sides.

But Snow boards. yeah these are going to get beat to chit and back.
Print to the IJ 180 LSE, then laminate with 8519 Luster.
Prep the finish and install.
Any and all problems are due to the Abuse the board takes.

Hope this helps

highrolling24

I would think that the edge of the the vinyl would start to lift so would have to auto clear coat but then you would have to get the board before it has been waxed because the wax would effect the clear unless you clean it real good, never tried on snowboard other than a sticker but like Karst said its a snowboard goin to get beat to chit and back