• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What printer to buy for wall decor (canvas wraps) - HP 360/365 or Epson S80600

DanielR

We are in the process of purchasing a printer for wall décor canvas wraps and have narrowed the search down to HP 360 (365) or the Epson S80600. Our goal is to avoid top coating and be able to produce accurate colors. We'll be primarily printing on poly-cotton and polyester canvas. Please share your opinions and experience.

ProColorGraphics

I went from a 360 to an Epson S70 and now have a S80 too. I love the Epson as print quality was my top priority. But, I will say the latex is a lot better on fabric type materials. I do still do wall coverings (dreamscape) and canvas (satin or gloss finish) all of the time with my Epson. I would research what printer would work best with the media you want to use. If you want to run uncoated fabrics, the latex would work better. If you want the best quality and the media you use access solvent ink, the I would go with the S80.

As far as not top coating, neither one will have a bullet proof finish.

DanielR

I went from a 360 to an Epson S70 and now have a S80 too. I love the Epson as print quality was my top priority. But, I will say the latex is a lot better on fabric type materials. I do still do wall coverings (dreamscape) and canvas (satin or gloss finish) all of the time with my Epson. I would research what printer would work best with the media you want to use. If you want to run uncoated fabrics, the latex would work better. If you want the best quality and the media you use access solvent ink, the I would go with the S80.

As far as not top coating, neither one will have a bullet proof finish.

Thanks for the input ProColorGraphics! Do any of the printers have an advantage when it comes to printing short runs? The media we intend to use is mostly coated and suitable with eco-solvent, but our concern about the S80 is regarding the maintenance, potential of clogging issues as in the beginning we'll be printing low volume and may not have print jobs on a daily basis.
With the latex, our concern is the color inconsistency issues we have discovered in several posts in this forum. We sent a set of sample files to a HP/Epson dealer and we could not see any color variations on the samples we got (printed on the same medias). The latex appeared much durable during stretching and scratch testing so in that aspect it was a better fit for us.

ProColorGraphics

I wouldn't worry about maintenance on the S80 at all. There isn't much to do at all!! Once a month I clean around the heads and cap tops. If anything, just run a nozzle check everyday. I save small scrap pieces to do this on.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I personally would NOT use any latex printer for canvas prints, if you want them to last. Solvent only for those.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I personally would NOT use any latex printer for canvas prints, if you want them to last. Solvent only for those.

Have you ever seen canvas off a latex? The biggest canvas producers out there have a fleet of latex machines. For canvas I would use an Aqueous machine like a cannon, Epson, or HP. Second choice would be latex

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Have you ever seen canvas off a latex? The biggest canvas producers out there have a fleet of latex machines. For canvas I would use an Aqueous machine like a cannon, Epson, or HP. Second choice would be latex

I've just had bad luck with it. Maybe I need a better canvas material. Forgot which I have, but print scratches off super easy.

tylercrum

I've been running canvases on the L25500 for about 6+ years now with very little issue, and now we run quite a bit of them on our 360. No coating, just print, stretch, bill 'em. If prints are scratching off, that's a profile/heat issue. If you're using canned profiles, that's what's going to happen.

usdsoccer

I'd argue the Epson S80s and previous generation S70s are the most popular 64" machines for canvas wraps over the past few years. From reading this thread it's easy to see the common theme that Epson quality > Latex. When I was in the market for a new machine I had samples done on both (and Roland) and the Epson was far superior.

Just a suggestion, listen to the posters that are actual users, not the guy who sells Latex ;)

dsmskyline

I have a l360 and the epson s50675, I prefer the quality of the canvas off the HP over the epson.

Both machines i ised used the same magic matte stretch canvas.

Both machines had had a custom profile created through caldera.

Previously we had a Mutoh 1608hs and feel it had better canvas quality over the epson.

Bly

I do a few with our 360s. Image quality is fine and the ink is quite durable.
What's even better is buying pre stretched canvas blanks and printing them with our Oce Arizona.

Correct Color

If it was me, I'd buy the Epson.

Canvas does tend to be forgiving enough that it will hide most of the inherent graininess created by the contoned ink splits in the HP, but still, there's more control over inking in the Epson -- even though it too is contone to an extent -- and I'm a huge fan of light blacks and orange. The Epson also will create a lower black point on just about any material.

People use both to print on canvas though, stay in business and have happy clients, so it pretty much comes down to which one you feel will work best for you.

DanielR

Thank you all for the great information! We were leaning towards the latex solution initially due to ability to stretch immediately the prints and the fact that you can leave the printer for days without printing anything without clogging the head, but it seems like most users are recommending the S80 based on experience and we are sort of back to the drawing board. We might need to do more sample prints just to make sure the initial samples we received are not misleading us to believe the color quality is visually the same.

As Correct Color pointed, canvas is forgiving. We have the Epson P9000 and even relatively low res images still look pretty good on canvas. What would you recommend when sending additional samples to the dealer? The samples files we gave them had most color combinations including red/orange and greys which seem to be an issue for some users in the forum that are using 360s. It appears the dealer's profiles are pretty good (we used their media which we consider using down the road) as all samples we got so far are equality good and match our outputs on the P9000.

Correct Color

Just to clarify one thing:

The reason I'd buy the Epson is that, basically, both printers are pretty much capable of the same middle-of-the-road quality prints.

But of course if I bought a printer that's not what I'd be buying it for. I'd be profiling it myself to get every bit of capability it's got out of each and every print.

And viewing it that way, the Epson has much more inherent capability than the HP.

Agarcia15

I would honestly go with the 365, the heads are considered consumables and you don't need a tech to swap them out. You can do it yourself and it's as easy as changing an ink cartridge. I was the proud owner of two great Epson that ultimately got replaced by one 360. The biggest benefit for me is the built-in spectrophotometer; it allows me to create profiles on the spot and it's a fully automated process. The other benefits are that the prints are dry right out of the machine, safe to use in schools, hospitals, restaurants etc... due to no harmful chemicals and less inks to stock. Oh and I've never seen a machine achieve a true grey like these can, not even the Epson's.