• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What Printer would you stake your business on?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Please re-read the original message from 2CT Media. Sounds like he lost faith and is frustrated with HP for service and support. Not sure telling him to buy another generation HP solves his confidence issues with HP.

Then again, maybe if you buy a "bigger" machine from HP you get better support?
Not at all, we have an FB750 that has also been a service nightmare for us.

MachServTech

Please re-read the original message from 2CT Media. Sounds like he lost faith and is frustrated with HP for service and support. Not sure telling him to buy another generation HP solves his confidence issues with HP.

Then again, maybe if you buy a "bigger" machine from HP you get better support?
I didn't suggest he by an HP specifically, (EDIT after re-reading it looks like I did just that...it was not my intent to "reccomend the 1500"...just suggest a step up in the is currently using) his levels of throughput suggest a much wider machine (pick a mfg.) would be far better ROI. In the end, the manufacturer really doesn't matter as long as they have the tools you need and are reasonably reliable...

That being said. HP does have some systemic issues with their service. So does Epson...to a lesser extent.

Christian @ 2CT Media

After testing today, we decided on a 30 day trial of the 1650. It printed the decals we have been doing at a much higher visual quality and over twice as fast as our latex. The next mode up is 3 times faster than our latex and although we didnt get to test it on our material and files the samples they had was better than our 6 pass.

For the offer we got on this 1650 and the total overall deal if the 30 day in shop trial goes well it's a no brainers for us!

The epson looked great and was quick, just nothing like this machine. We may get rid of latex in favor of the epson at some point for wraps, but everything else is going to the colorado. I hope they release a dual roll 3 meter soon!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Isn't the 1650 a UV machine? You going to use it for wraps?
Its gel uv, similar but different tech. We will do fleet graphics and partials. The latex will still do full wraps. The stretch on the inks is on par with latex from the testing we did today, but it doesn't recover as well from over stretch. So box trucks, flat sided graphics, simple wraps are all a go.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
After testing today, we decided on a 30 day trial of the 1650. It printed the decals we have been doing at a much higher visual quality and over twice as fast as our latex. The next mode up is 3 times faster than our latex and although we didnt get to test it on our material and files the samples they had was better than our 6 pass.

For the offer we got on this 1650 and the total overall deal if the 30 day in shop trial goes well it's a no brainers for us!

The epson looked great and was quick, just nothing like this machine. We may get rid of latex in favor of the epson at some point for wraps, but everything else is going to the colorado. I hope they release a dual roll 3 meter soon!

The speed out those things is ridiculous. I’m still slowly working my way through profiling all our media’s and once everything is all dialled in etc the gamut is HUGE. Done a lime green yesterday that looked like an RGB file!

another big factor for us was at high quality it automatically compensates for nozzle drop outs etc which were a problem on our old mimaki. After you’ve loaded a roll, printed a little bit and taped it to the take up core, you can go take a nap for a couple hours and not worry at all about what it’s producing.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Christian @ 2CT Media

The speed out those things is ridiculous. I’m still slowly working my way through profiling all our media’s and once everything is all dialled in etc the gamut is HUGE. Done a lime green yesterday that looked like an RGB file!

another big factor for us was at high quality it automatically compensates for nozzle drop outs etc which were a problem on our old mimaki. After you’ve loaded a roll, printed a little bit and taped it to the take up core, you can go take a nap for a couple hours and not worry at all about what it’s producing.
Hours? With what we plan to do with it, we are hoping only an hour or less depending on the next mode up.

Last edited:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Actually, here is another machine I would stake my business on! I love this one so much, 7 sold on the first day out Printing United it was killer.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We generally print everything on high quality (40m2 an hour) so rolls take about an hour and a half give or take but production works too (57/hour). That should do a full 54” roll in about an hour and 10 mins or so. I just keep high quality because it still pumps through rolls and anything faster than that stops using the AAC and the nozzle detection.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
That machine has always intrigued me, but we don't do enough wallscapes to justify it yet.

Yes totally understand. If I lost my job I would buy this and go full steam into the interior design market. This machine is going to make people a LOT of money!

bluehammer

Would stake my business on a Durst. (Con is the cost, only other machine we've had that would come close to reliability and consistency would be SwissQ).

I'm like you, I've had every smaller latex machine, 25500, 26500, 360, 570, 3000.

As for your situation, you might want to consider the HP Latex 1500 or 3000.

I run 200,000+sqft a month on my 3000. It has its pros and cons like most printers. You still have all the nuances or color consistency and tiling like other hp machines but you're going to have a lot more throughput and cheaper ink cost.

Are you saying you run 10 rolls a day...every day of the week on your 3000? One machine? At 675 sq ft per roll of 54"x150' material thats the math.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Yeah on a 3000 you can probably do 2 rolls on indoor high quality in about 45 mins. I’d guess just finding the work to run 10 rolls a day would be my biggest issue lol

Bly

We're more about doing small to medium size runs quickly so the Colorado is looking like the best fit at the moment.
Quick and easy media changeovers and medium fast print speeds are where it's at for us.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We're more about doing small to medium size runs quickly so the Colorado is looking like the best fit at the moment.
Quick and easy media changeovers and medium fast print speeds are where it's at for us.
Do you like your colorado? We get ours the first week of dec, so it should be interesting to switch from all latex and test the limits.