• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What RIP is everyone using?

Mata

Hi

I've gone from Versaworks (when I had a Roland) to Onyx and now to Flexi. I thought Versaworks was ok, It did everything I needed it to and I was perfectly happy with it and never even contemplated looking elsewhere. I used cutting master on the side for my vinyl graphics (when using a small graphtec) but everything else went through Versaworks.

I then changed my printer and cutter and went to Onyx, I have to admit I'm not a big fan. Once setup it printed great with my Epson but I always got into issues with crop marks and media width. I ended up setting my crop marks up in illustrator and adding the final pdf to onyx and then once printed, reopen illustrator and use cutting master to cut. That worked better for me but it's a slow process. You can't just cut vinyl either, so I still had to use cutting master to cut although now it was on a bigger scale as i upgraded my cutter to a 1600mm to match my printer.

I've now gone to Flexi 22 and first thoughts, not great in all honesty. This could well be teething issues but I keep getting into issues and customer service isn't exactly great. I'm managing to print fine but i'm now having issues with cut contour. I'm still in a trial mode so before I commit, I wanted to find out what others use.

I noticed that when trying to get media profiles from suppliers, they don't really create profiles in Flexi and if they do, they're old or not compatible with my printer. To be fair, they don't have many profiles for other rips either.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Flexi, it's the only one I ever used so I have nothing to compare it to. For me, it seems to work pretty well. I still can't figure out how to kiss cut but I haven't tried very hard either.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Flexi - but don't use most of the tools for it. Just print management. All Nesting, cut lines, weed lines etc. are set up in Corel

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
In our shop we have Onyx running our two HP latex printers. We have RasterLink Pro controlling our Mimaki flatbed printer.

artofacks1

I use Omega for my edge system and it’s decent.

Tried Flexi for about 7 months and I hate how buggy it is.

Been on Onyx for 2 days but only to print.

I been cutting from Cutmaster in Illustrator for about a month now.

Rayd8

Flexi. Reason: because it was bundled wit the HP 31x series. Works with my HP 315 & 310 Latex and D160r Summa cutter. Let's say its not bad at all. Contourcuts even cuttroughs work, but i still set the force on my Summa itself. I do it because for each media it's different and tends to change over time (blade wear i guess). Since i changed the contour cut defaults in Flexi to 20cm each regmark and switched the mode from opos to oposxy it has been behaving nicely and i never have to add manual regmarks etc. If its a concoutcut only job (lettering, no printing = just cutting color vinyl) i do it directly in Illustrator and use the Summa winplot utility to do that.

My open points:
- HP Latex: my feeling is that due to the heat sometimes the prints are not allways exactly vertical, with longer jobs my hunchfeeling is that the middle part tends to deviate a tiny bit over long runs (i think maybe from pulling the vinyl?). Setting the summa to oposxy has improved that greatly. Oposxy however only prints an horizontal line at the start of the job and not at the end of it, so oposxy only has the std regmarks to compare the start line with the rest of the print. Does anyone know if oposxy2 (read: printing also the second horizontal line to calculate this deviation better) work on the D160r or what would maybe even be a better way to cope with this?
- countourcut + cutthrough: i did not yet manage to do both on the same media in one go. Now i send to cuttingjobs: the first with only the contourcut data, a second with the cutthrough. Need to test more to solve that but i'm fairly confident when playing with the flexi cuttter job settings will correct it.