• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what software is good for 3D dimensional vectors?

Techman

I am asking for some input on what is a good package for building 3d models for CNC routers.
IE: Build up a piece and then export it to Aspire..

mezalick

I use DAZ to position my figures then import into Aspire as an OBJ.
There are other programs that are effective to accomplish that end result, these are just my favorites.
For non figure 3-D work , I create them mostly in Aspire, sometimes in MODO.
Other I know use Hexagon.
Michael

PS Thanks Fred for the 3-D section

4R Graphics

There are so many programs most have a large price and a step learning curve.

Maya - super great big learning curve and expensive.

3D Studio -super great big learning curve and expensive.

Cinema 4D - great lower learning curve but still step reasonable in price.(really like it)

Rhino 3D - great lower learning curve but still step reasonable in price. (not a fan)

There are more but these are the big ones for doing 3D modeling.
Get ready to make your brain hurt learning to use any 3D Program there is a lot to them.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'll throw in for Rhino and it's little brother MOI.
If you want to see how software is supposed to be developed and supported visit the Rhino site.
(unless you run a Mac)

wayne k
guam usa

Davidford7

Big fan of Rhino
I use to be a dealer for them when I owned a 3d routing software company. As powerful as AutoCad but a fraction of the cost.
David

4R Graphics

Rhino is good and has a good price. I just learned using 3D stdio max and Maya so thats the reason not a big fan of Rhino but for people looking to get into 3D design I would recommend either Rhino or Cinema 4D.

Side note if you are planing to use a cnc router and dont have CAM software there is a plug-in for rhino but I would buy a Cam program that has abilities to do simple 2 and 2.5 D as well as 3D stuff (Aspire by vectric) design in rhino then import to Aspire (my personal recommendation) the reason I say this is that you are probably very capable of designing simple vector based designs with AI or corel and those are easily brought into Aspire to do simple v cut lettering and what not where as if you use rhino and the plug-in you will have more difficulties it can be done but its not as simple as design in AI or corel then just open in Aspire setup cut paths and save done send to the router. 3D is great and brings a good paycheck but you will find that you do a lot of 2 and 2.5 D stuff (people are cheap).

2.5 D is the stuff you see that is sticking up out of the sign in 3D but only part of it. It is not a complete 3D object like a statue if that makes since. You use pics and 3D objects designed in other 3D programs to make them but then you only stick them up out of the surface of the sign to give a 3D look.