• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to check for when buying used equipment?

Jasmin

Founder
Hey, im pretty new in the space and all my equipment have been purchased new from Grimco. I am looking to purchase a used HP latex 365.

What exactly should I look for so I don't buy a printer that is in bad condition? Any specific tests I should ask for?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Visual condition, check everything that you can. Make it print something you know how it should look like etc. And you do it so you spot if something is broken. You already know how it sounds so you can hear if something sounds wrong.
Check error log and take that into consideration. It will not lie like the seller will. Check what the maintenance and usage counter looks like.
You might need new inks, printheads and maintenance cartridge so that's what $2000, count that on top of the price.

Last edited:

Rmurray321

I just bought a LEJ-640FT from a dude out of state. I just found a local graphic company to go by and do a full test and inspection of the machine. Cost me $350. Turns out that’s who has serviced and sold it since new so they had a full history on it.

greysquirrel

Run a usage report. Run finger across carriage rail. If a rail is not oiled properly it will develop a grove. The rail in an hp cannot be replaced

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Never ever had a problem with the rails. Carriage has bronze(?) bushings and those wear out faster if so. Even then never needed to even replace the bushings.

greysquirrel

Never ever had a problem with the rails. Carriage has bronze(?) bushings and those wear out faster if so. Even then never needed to even replace the bushings.
sorry for delay....the rails will absolutely devolve a bow from the carriage if the bushings wear out and printer is continuously run. This will leave the printer useless.