• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to pay a Print shop manager?

Jasmin

Founder
I am looking to hire a print shop manager. He would pretty much be taking over what I do on a daily basis (Manage 2 workers, make sure orders go out, make sure we are stocked on material etc) What salary would you guys pay a print shop manager to take over your job?

Worth to note I don't really need someone with tons of experience. I started large format printing myself a year ago and pretty much know the drill now. I would give the person a very intense training on our HP latex 315 and cutter for 1-2 weeks and I think that would be a good start point (We only print stickers, the same material, same process day in day out)

Location Queens, NYC

We are posting on Indeed soon and interested to hear what you all think! Have a great day

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Very much based on location and cost of living. I have no idea up there but I'd imagine it would be a LOT more than here in South Carolina....
Then again if they are not doing anything that is actual "Management" and just running a printer and a cutter (not really what I'd call a management position) that will also come into play.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Don't know your situation, or the skill level of what you already have working for you, but why not put one of the two you have now in charge? That way you just have to negotiate a raise to go with the added responsibility, you can title it however you (or they) want, manager, foreman, supervisor... Plus you'd be giving more authority to someone who already knows how you operate, less training. You can always hire another entry level if you need a third person. I'm a big "promote from within" kinda guy, most want to move up, don't give em' a chance and many will just move on, that's how companies lose good people.

JBurton

Signtologist
Agreed with DL here, can you not promote one of your two workers and bring in a 3rd with no experience to get trained?
Also agreeing with Sightline, 40-50k here for a print shop manager, but you really sound like you're looking for a supervisor with no true 'paperwork' responsibilities. Also, NY and AR will not have similar COL, so my numbers are pretty useless.

• Agree
Reactions: S2S

Ldireprophil

Only you can decide but decide maybe on a percentage based on your average yearly sales then offer that as a yearly salary. If he or she is competent to “manage” your business it will be money well spent if you‘re off doing other things. Anything over a certain amount, consider giving them a small percent of that as well as the carrot on top. Just make sure you pay a good person good money “slightly above average” or else you won’t have them long-term.

Jasmin

Founder
Don't know your situation, or the skill level of what you already have working for you, but why not put one of the two you have now in charge? That way you just have to negotiate a raise to go with the added responsibility, you can title it however you (or they) want, manager, foreman, supervisor... Plus you'd be giving more authority to someone who already knows how you operate, less training. You can always hire another entry level if you need a third person. I'm a big "promote from within" kinda guy, most want to move up, don't give em' a chance and many will just move on, that's how companies lose good people.
This is a great suggestion! however. We are moving to a new location so none of my old workers will be coming with me, hiring from scratch.