• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what type of license do i need?

decaljunkie

what type of license do i need to get in order to bid on local sign jobs in my city like banners, window vinyl signs and what not...i will be doing installs. is there a a certain amount on one job that i can bid on without getting in trouble? dont want to bid a job and then get busted because it was a sting operation. thanks

CL Graphics

dont think there are too many sting operations to catch sign guys. at least not around here. You should talk to the local building official. He will be able to tell you what you need to know.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Register with the county. Get your tax ID number. Collect the taxes. Pay the taxes.
Best advice is to employ a bookkeeper or CPA.

Buy your bond the city will require. Register as a sign contractor with the city. Follow the ordinances and pull permits as required.

Now liability and workers comp ins.........

blueben

Depends on your city. I have talked to people who only need a business license because the city doesn't require a contractor to do the installations. Some cities require all signs to be installed by a contractor including doors, windows, refacing. Even just adding a phone number to a door must be done by a licensed contractor. In AZ you have to have a minimum of 3 years experience in the field and that does not mean 3 years of making decals for cars and windows.
I could be wrong, but I believe that you are required to have a business license for every city you do work in. I have licenses in the 3 cities near me that requires them.

decaljunkie

i got my business license yesterday, cost $10 now how do i buy a bond? and do i have to take a test to get a contractors license or is it even required? thanks

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Crap... can't help it.

Okay... what does the "what not" mean... you can do vehicle lettering/wraps, most banners and some window lettering.

Blueben probably has the wrong classification for the type of signage you are going to deal with: You need a D61 Specialty License-D-42 Non Electrical Sign Installation.. problem you might have is... do you qualify?

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/GeneralInformation/Library/LicensingClassifications/D42SignInstallation.asp

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Resources/GuidesAndPamphlets/BlueprintForGettingLicensed.pdf

blueben

Blueben probably has the wrong classification for the type of signage you are going to deal with: You need a D61 Specialty License-D-42 Non Electrical Sign Installation

I thought there was a different classification but I couldnt remember or really wanted to look into anymore.

Rick

hmm... well in Arizona the license is the L-38 Contractors License... Do not know about cities not requiring one, since it is a State thing. Cities are usually required to follow and inspect using the building code which included requiring a Licensed Sign Contractor... The Cities I have dealt with in Arizona required one.

In Arizona an L-38 is:

L-38 SIGNS
Fabricate, install, repair, and service indoor or outdoor signs, displays, and sign devices attached to, or painted on a structure for the purpose of display, advertising or direction, including painting for background and decorative purposes; sign supports and accessories; flagpoles; electrical wiring directly connecting signs, displays, and sign devices to the first adequate power outlet accessible and adjacent to the sign, display, or sign device.

I think the biggest reason to carry one is, making a sign without a license means a customer does not have to pay you, and they may have the right to get a refund.

Rick

how would i find out if it is required to have a contractors license in fresno ca

I'm thinking you did not read the links or my post.... plus, what does "what not" mean?

Forget the other comments. It is a State requirement.

_______

Basic info:

Anyone performing construction work in California that totals $500 dollars or more in labor and materials must be licensed by CSLB.

Licensed contractors must demonstrate at least 4 years of experience/education in the trade for which they are licensed, be fingerprinted, have an FBI background check, and be bonded.

_______

If you do not have a contractors license:

First time offenders are often issued a Notice to Appear (NTA) for misdemeanor charges of contracting without a license or illegal advertising. The NTA carries a maximum of six months in jail and/or up to a $1,000 fine.
Additional convictions raise the fines to 20 percent of the contract price for the work performed, (or $4500), along with a 90-day jail sentence.

_______

The city usually request's a contractors license when pulling a permit, but the city does not necessarily enforce it.

decaljunkie

i called the contractors state board and spoke with a gal from there office. i asked if a contractors license was required for doing vinyl signs, banners, store windows. i also told her i would be doing installations. she said she dony think i need a license. for this. but she wasent to sure. the reason why i called was because i am hearing different answers from people. now im kinda confused. :help

CentralSigns

Up here business licence $120 a year. General Liability insurance $1200 a year. Town will only give you work if you have WCB $1200 a year for no employees just the partners. THATS $210 BEFORE YOU EVEN TURN ON THE POWER. Sucks to be legit.

G

Gnarlydog

Thanks for the info! It seems the $500 Per job in CA is pretty clear if you are doing any work...including vinyl. I am new to the sign industry, but a friend of mine has a large sign company and after working with him on various jobs my advice would be to get a job in the industry and learn the craft. I think that applies to just about any business.

I am a graphic designer (web & print) and I am just getting started after doing several jobs for clients using my friends shop to produce. I can say for certain that there's a lot more to sign shops than buying a cutter and firing up some software.

RebeckaR

Am I being simplistic in suggesting that you contact the city to want to do business in?

Not only are there differences between states, but different cities have different requirements.

Zzyzx

I have a contractors license in California, they are required if you are doing any form of construction. In your case if you do no sign work either on a pole or on a building you do not need a license. I think that in your case if you are installing door or window signs you will not need one.
BUT you are required to register with the State either as an individual, partnership or corporation. I would suspect that you will be working as a sole proprietor. That requires you the register with the county that you are in as a DBA, Doing Business As .
Then you can get a city license to operate a business in that city.
And yes all of this requires fees to be paid.
If you need some help PM me I have done it a number of times.

Chuck