• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Would Cause Ink to Puddle Like This

rdm01

We were having trouble with a print, splotchy ink, bleeding between colors. I had our team replace an aging optimizer head. It pops this out.
1628801999415.png

Yikes! This looks worse. What would cause this?

HP Latex370
Calendered Vinyl (never had issues with this media)

Any ideas?

What does the nozzle test print look like? It is located under Image Quality Maintenance > Clean Printheads > Test Print

WB

It's been awhile since I've use a latex. BUT, are the heaters on and working properly? Check the material make sure there isn't a mistake and you got sent the wrong media. solvent on your lines..

Obviously your 1st response is to but another material in and see if it prints fine, if it does it's the material send it back.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
We were having trouble with a print, splotchy ink, bleeding between colors. I had our team replace an aging optimizer head. It pops this out.
View attachment 154873

Yikes! This looks worse. What would cause this?

HP Latex370
Calendered Vinyl (never had issues with this media)

Any ideas?
This looks just fine. Those are not for you to look at, it's a spitting bar for printer.

Please post a picture of the actual issue.

rdm01

Well
This looks just fine. Those are not for you to look at, it's a spitting bar for printer.

Please post a picture of the actual issue.
Though uniquely phrased, you seem to be absolutely correct. :)

The prints prior looked awful, so we swapped the optimizer. I stopped short of actually printing when I saw this come off the printer after the printhead swap. Turns out, the new optimizer printhead did the tick, and the prints look just fine.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yeah, it would be nice if the manual explained more of what not to look at on your test prints. I recall the first one I ran when profiling a new media. I nearly had a cow until the tech that installed it got back with me.
The things is that isn't a test print. It's automatic alignment so I don't know, I think that should explain it. You shouldn't look at any of it as the printer does the looking for you.
Manual does explain few other test prints.