• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what would you do??

JOHN SOBEL

I am running a roland versacam sp300V, I want to upgrade computers and software, I have been running flexi 7.6 on a windows 7, 32 bit computer. but new computer will not allow the security key to install?? but the software installs fine.

installed corel, prints nice but adding inside/outside cuts are a pain in the but! looking at signlab 10??

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If you're looking at buying SignLab, why not just upgrading to the current version of Flexi? Is there a huge price difference?

GaSouthpaw

Flexi still has traditional license options. You don't have to do the cloud version unless you want to.

WildWestDesigns

Flexi still has traditional license options. You don't have to do the cloud version unless you want to.

That's what I was thinking. I was thinking that one had to call in and get it, but it was still an option (probably wanting that call or other direct communication to talk you out of it). Now how long that will be remains to be the case. I seem to remember a rep that was a MM here used to put out cartoons about the benefits of subscribing versus perpetual license.

I'm always one to do a C:B of both options and try to figure out all the variables and put a cost associated with them and see how it looks financially in the end.

I mean, if I was at retirement door for instance, I probably wouldn't have a problem with the subscription service for programs (and all y'all know how much I just "love" subscription software). That's just an example of one variable, so keep things like that in mind when pricing out. The more long term, the less that seems like a viable option (unless there is no choice).

GaSouthpaw

We use EnRoute (also an SAi product) and I really like the subscription model for it, because it's always up-to-date. I can completely understand why some people don't, though (Adobe's "improvements" spring immediately to mind).

GaSouthpaw

Also, if you look at their web page, scroll all the way to the bottom- that's where the "traditional license" option is.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I want to upgrade computers and software,
Maybe consider your your printer and its computer as a system. Go ahead and upgrade other computers. There are printers and other machines with their original computers in operation that haven't been upgraded for years and years. You may "want" to upgrade but do you "need" to upgrade?

JOHN SOBEL

I am running a roland versacam sp300V, I want to upgrade computers and software, I have been running flexi 7.6 on a windows 7, 32 bit computer. but new computer will not allow the security key to install?? but the software installs fine.

installed corel, prints nice but adding inside/outside cuts are a pain in the but! looking at signlab 10??
just bought a new computer and flexi 19, what a dream! works perfect, colors are superb!!!

netsol

We use EnRoute (also an SAi product) and I really like the subscription model for it, because it's always up-to-date. I can completely understand why some people don't, though (Adobe's "improvements" spring immediately to mind).

GASOUTHPAW
do you send to enroute and use cnc for print & cut?

this i new to us
i am getting the bobscnc 4' x 8' KL 744 with extension kit to get our feet wet, in this are. intend to print, mount on one of the daiges, laminate, then use bobscnc to contour cut.

just wondering if it will work as well as i expect

GaSouthpaw

GASOUTHPAW
do you send to enroute and use cnc for print & cut?

this i new to us
i am getting the bobscnc 4' x 8' KL 744 with extension kit to get our feet wet, in this are. intend to print, mount on one of the daiges, laminate, then use bobscnc to contour cut.

just wondering if it will work as well as i expect
No. EnRoute is CNC only. While its design capabilities are greatly improved from previous eras, I wouldn't do anything but the simplest layouts with it. For nesting, routing, lasering, or other machining, though- it's a great tool. I pointed it out only because it's an SAi product, same as Flexi, and we've been happy with the subscription model.

netsol

No. EnRoute is CNC only. While its design capabilities are greatly improved from previous eras, I wouldn't do anything but the simplest layouts with it. For nesting, routing, lasering, or other machining, though- it's a great tool. I pointed it out only because it's an SAi product, same as Flexi, and we've been happy with the subscription model.

thanks for the reply

wouldn't you think i would be able to export my contour cut layer to enroute and make my cut with the router?

simple things like the outline of a 4 ft high coffee cup

WildWestDesigns

It's a double edge sword always being up to date. Just look at Corel's woes as well.

At that point, I would honestly prefer browser based and go from there if everything is going to the subscription. I know, I know, that will get some flack. There is a nice little thing called WASM, which runs compiled code in the browser (I use emscripten for C++) and depending on which one my programs talking about, it's either 4 times or 10 times quicker then straight JS and negligibly different from straight C++ direct on machine. Nice thing to is that GUI libs for C++ are pretty much relegated to Qt (my personal favorite), GTK (some can take it or leave it, I'm personally not a fan of it) or WxWidgets. This aren't the only 3, just the big three. HTML/CSS is far more robust compared to those. Far more.

GaSouthpaw

thanks for the reply

wouldn't you think i would be able to export my contour cut layer to enroute and make my cut with the router?

simple things like the outline of a 4 ft high coffee cup
I may have misunderstood your question the first time. You can use EnRoute to cut printed substrates, and it should be no problem to export your contours if they're vectors. EnRoute supports most vector formats. In fact, if you're using FlexiSign with EnRoute, "Send File to EnRoute" used to be an option (not sure if it still is- it's been five years), and it would send the file you had set up to EnRoute for machining vector elements.

MachServTech

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I understand cash flow is tough and everyone is trying to keep costs down. I have found that file incompatibility and poor performance on the PC/RIP have cost me a lot of time over the years. I have gone to upgrade PC's every 2-3 years and sell the old hardware (not much of a loss actually) and switching everything to cloud subscriptions. This had drastically improved my productivity and allowed me to take advantage of the speed using multithreading processors, Fast SSD drives for file transfer, and in general not waiting on the computer or having to reboot from crashing.
Everything stays up to date and I have much fewer headaches with compatibility.
Adobe Creative Cloud
Adobe Unlimited Fonts
Flexi SAi Cloud

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Time is money, I would upgrade one computer every couple of years. If a new computer only saves you a minute here and a minute there 10 times a day, it will easily pay for itself in a year, even considering the pain of reinstalling the software and configuring it.