• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you have quoted for this boat vinyl + install?

signs_welly

Currently flying by the seat of my pants

For some reason this particular job irks me so this may be more of a rant than anything. I felt like we quoted this a little low at just about $200 to design, print, laminate, cut, and install on this boat. He wanted to replace Island Time with the new name of his boat. He had already removed the vinyl and stated that the surface was clean. The boat would be on a trailer in his driveway about 11 miles away from our shop. We quoted it using Oracal 3551 with 210 laminate (we should have quoted it for 290, which is what we would have used, but someone dropped the ball on that) and 951 for the text reading "Palm Beach, FL".

He stated that our price was way out of line for such a simple job. What would you have charged?

Normally I just ignore this kind of thing and move on - but for some reason I keep thinking about this. Is $200 way out of line for someone to create and print you custom graphics on materials that will handle the sun exposure that a boat is going to have, drive to your location and install them correctly on your boat?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
This should all be cut vinyl and not printed. Second, 210 is not even specd to be used with 3551 and is garbage laminate IMO. For what he got, I kind of have to agree with him.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That looks like a fairly nice looking boat, $200 seems more than reasonable.
Send him to the DIY section of Home Depot, they have some nice reflective aluminum backed mailbox letters for only $4.50 a set that should suit him.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
It's over 100° here in Texas!
$200.00 and a trip to the ocean? Werkz for me! I'll install it with my water wings on.... AND I would have used 651.
If he didn't like my price, there is always someone that will under cut me and do it cheaper.
I probably have enough scraps around that I would also be using vinyl that has been paid for three or four times....
Just remember...
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.... Great Movie too!

http://www.degreesymbol.co/

signs_welly

Currently flying by the seat of my pants
This should all be cut vinyl and not printed. Second, 210 is not even specd to be used with 3551 and is garbage laminate IMO. For what he got, I kind of have to agree with him.

He wanted the print to get the gradient effect and as I said in the post, we would have used 290. While his estimate did have "210" listed on it, I genuinely doubt he has any idea what that means. We use 210 for general signage (realtor signs, etc) all the time and don't find it to be garbage.

Thanks for all the other replies. I feel a bit better about our quote. I won't be surprised if we hear back from him in 6 months when whatever he decided on is faded and peeling.

CanuckSigns

I would be over $200 even if he brought the boat to my shop. Don't feel bad some people don't value anyone's time but their own, just shrug it off and move on.

Looks like a nice boat, reminds me of when someone came in to our shop to ask about getting something engraved as a gift, scoffed at the price and tried to wear me down, then left and drove off in a $100,000 Mercedes SUV.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
He wanted the print to get the gradient effect and as I said in the post, we would have used 290. While his estimate did have "210" listed on it, I genuinely doubt he has any idea what that means. We use 210 for general signage (realtor signs, etc) all the time and don't find it to be garbage.

Thanks for all the other replies. I feel a bit better about our quote. I won't be surprised if we hear back from him in 6 months when whatever he decided on is faded and peeling.
Look on the tech sheet for 3551. 210 is not a compatible laminate.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think that's a reasonable price for an onsite install for a boat. I would be a little less but I'm in WI and the market is different here.

SteveQuincey

That quote was extremely fair; I wouldn't even leave my shop for an "on-site install" for less than 350.00. Between design specs, Printing, Lam, Taping, Loading, commute and install I think your estimate was on the low end. His loss.

sardocs

I do a lot of boats. I did 3 boats just yesterday. Two were in the water and 1 was indoors at a yacht factory we regularly do work for. Simple 1 colour jobs are priced at $320 (Canadian) for transom only, and it goes up considerably if multiple colours, shadows and outlines are involved. Add more for bow lettering, brows and dodgers, liferings and registration numbers. There is no discount for using cheap vinyls or laminates, because we don't use them. Every boat is lettered with high performance cast materials. 3M or Avery 950 or 1Shot. How and why any competent signmaker would do them for less is beyond me.

unclebun

We do about a half dozen boats a week in season, or more. That boat should be done in cut HP vinyl, not printed. It would be priced at our flat rate, $250 plus tax. Nothing about it to add to the price. If there is vinyl or adhesive removal, that starts at $30. We are located about a half mile from the water, but it's a big lake. We charge more if the boat is outside our local area (more than a 15 minute drive one way).

When you add up the time involved in measuring the boat and creating the template on which to design, the customer interaction and design time, the cost of making the decal, and then the labor time in driving to the boat, surface prep and installation, even our flat rate is a bargain, and you have to be efficient at the work. $200 is what we did them for about 10 years ago.

BobM

With what people pay for their boats, docking fees, fuel, maintenance etc. the decaling is a tiny drop in the water. Remember, that customer was able to purchase and run that boat because they SQUEEZED out every penny from their customers. $350 minimum here of Cape of Cod.

unclebun

With what people pay for their boats, docking fees, fuel, maintenance etc. the decaling is a tiny drop in the water. Remember, that customer was able to purchase and run that boat because they SQUEEZED out every penny from their customers. $350 minimum here of Cape of Cod.
It should also go without saying, that the customer also escaped paying state sales tax by registering with the Coast Guard instead of licensing with their state. 7.25% of $250,000, or even $80,000, is a chuck of change. The charge for putting the name on the boat is negligible compared to what they saved on sales tax.

lora

For some reason this particular job irks me so this may be more of a rant than anything. I felt like we quoted this a little low at just about $200 to design, print, laminate, cut, and install on this boat. He wanted to replace Island Time with the new name of his boat. He had already removed the vinyl and stated that the surface was clean. The boat would be on a trailer in his driveway about 11 miles away from our shop. We quoted it using Oracal 3551 with 210 laminate (we should have quoted it for 290, which is what we would have used, but someone dropped the ball on that) and 951 for the text reading "Palm Beach, FL".

He stated that our price was way out of line for such a simple job. What would you have charged?

Normally I just ignore this kind of thing and move on - but for some reason I keep thinking about this. Is $200 way out of line for someone to create and print you custom graphics on materials that will handle the sun exposure that a boat is going to have, drive to your location and install them correctly on your boat?
I know it's a dumb questions, but what software did you use to apply dimensions on the image?
Thank you

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
That seems cheap to me unless they provided the graphics file and you are next to the install location or they came to you. You should have a print-cut minimum and install minimum to protect you from leaking money on jobs like this.

Second, why wouldn't you print-cut the whole thing? You're adding labor to the install as well as production by creating multiple pieces on 2 different machines.

Honestly. $200 is probably only 1/3 tank of gas for a boat that size at the current fuel prices. He's complaining about something costing $200 that will last many years vs running his boat for maybe a couple hours for the same amount.

$200 is more than fair in my book.

Johnny Best

He's probably looking at the price he can get it for on those boat websites where thet send you the cut out vinyl for application.
If you told him $150 he would have still bitched. Part of the business for custom work. Besides $200 is on the cheap side. If you did do the job for $200 he probably would have hit you up for free registration numbers for you to install "while you are there" line you get from those kind of customers.