• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats a cheap, but good printer?

quicksigns

I'm looking for a 48" and up printer, but for cheap. I just came back from the dallas sign show and they have a 48" prismjet for around 9,000(I think demo). It print as slow as the roland sp, but a portion of the price. Is it any good? The Mutho is i think 3,000 more, and 3x faster, is that any good. It seems like every dealer there was tellin me that their machine is better and the other suck. What yall think? I'm trying to stay around 10,000 hopefully under.

Ken

Good, cheap, fast. Pick any two.
Cutting corners here is not your best bet.
You might want to keep your eye open for a gently used machine.
Ken

7oaks

Maybe you should have asked if there was a good machine
out there for around 10G's. and asked for a couple of
pros and cons.

If I were to buy one, I would be as confused as you are.
Try leasing one and see how you like it.

Another Ken

quicksigns

basically has anyone used a Mutha or a PrismJet? what's the pro and con and is it worth it? Everything at the show looks and print great, but I'm worried about quality down the road.

Steve C.

I'm looking for a 48" and up printer, but for cheap. I just came back from the dallas sign show and they have a 48" prismjet for around 9,000(I think demo). It print as slow as the roland sp, but a portion of the price. Is it any good? The Mutho is i think 3,000 more, and 3x faster, is that any good. It seems like every dealer there was tellin me that their machine is better and the other suck. What yall think? I'm trying to stay around 10,000 hopefully under.

Is there a Sign Show going on in Dallas? Did you mean Ft. Worth?

I have had pretty good luck with my PrismJet. Everyone is aware that it
has a few faults. Inferior hoses on the pump and heat banding are my biggest
gripes. I was at the Fort Worth Show and am real impressed with the
ValueJet and so far havent heard any bad reviews. We may be getting one
if I can find a buyer for my old one. Not ready to sell just yet.

S

Sign-Man Signs

basically has anyone used a Mutha or a PrismJet? what's the pro and con and is it worth it? Everything at the show looks and print great, but I'm worried about quality down the road.

We leased ours from Sign Warehouse with an Graphtec Opitcal rader for cutting decal. The printer is to me the best on the mareket and it speed is great. Does take a lot of menory and we use Flexi 8.0 which thay included in the deal. Less than 10k. Not a bad deal. Uses Ecosol Ultral ink which everyone is changing over to these day. We've used it over ayear now with no problems at all. Meybe we got lucky. The support has been great from Sign Warhouse. Classes are included at their shop for free. What more can I say, I like my Mutoh.

Graphics2u

I like my Mutoh too. Been an excellent printer. It seems like everyone expects to buy a printer and have no problems or else it's a piece of junk. But I think that no matter what printer you buy you will experience problems and breakdowns. The Mutoh Falcon outdoor and the Prismjet are very easy to maintain, with the least amount of mechanical ability you shoud be able to care for the most common problems (Capping station and Pumps). The Valuejet looks Great too! Just saw one in action yesterday, fast output for the price and excellent print quality.

And it's true the things you see printed at shows are many times excellent images to start with and have been setup pecfectly beforehand, but that's what printing is about, it takes some effort and unfortunately trial and error. You just hope to keep the errors to a minimum!

Jackpine

I agree with Graphics2u. I have a control print from SSK when I bought my printer and the quality is outstanding. But then, quality in, quality out. I have a PrintTech36, aka Mutoh Falcon JR. It has done everything I need except print wider. The 36+" it prints is the reason I bought it. Slow?, sure it's slower then other printers, but "it is what it is".. I can't complain one bit the way the printer has performed. I just miss the "Tech Guys" from SSK. They were some of the best there is.

quicksigns

Now theres an oxymoron . . .

Theres no such thing as a cheap but good printer !

What's an oxymoron? Anyways, I ment cheaper then others, but can still do the job. your knowledge and suggestion is important to me. Sorry if I sound dumb, but I'm just here to learn

Sorry if I sound dumb, but I'm just here to learn

It really was not a slam from Replicator. The problem IS that quality does not come cheap. There is always something cheaper than the next but since there is no "free lunch", something is gonna give.

You must decide what your needs are >>>> Then you must decide what you can truly afford to budget towards the investment >>>> Then you try and see if something will fit the bill.

Understand that with all printers there is a serious learning curve and literally thousands (NOT an exaggeration) spent on media, ink AND additional after-the-fact hardware and software.

Read as much as you can (using the forum's search tool) about printers. Even visit www.printingdigital.net and read more yet.

As for solvent machines and their owners complaining, they rank as follows:

1. Mimaki - Hardly ever do their owners complain
2. Roland - Their owners complain more than Mimaki, but far less than Mutoh owners, and Roland has a very well regarded reputation for longevity.
3. Mutoh - Cheapest of the bunch. The cheaper units (less than 30k) are geared more towards the "entry level". Owners regularly complaining, although a fair number do from lack of understanding or even unreasonable expectations.

You also need to weigh the costs of ownership vs. the cost of sublet. The large margins have been taken away so sublet is not at the disadvantage that it once was.

Hope this helps.

Geary

Good, cheap, fast. Pick any two.

I think he did Ken......"Good and cheap". :tongue:

Actually, I don't see anything wrong with his request. Some of the new entry level Rolands and HPs do wonderfully well I hear. I don't own any large format printers.....so, someone else in this range of accoutrement will have to respond with personally.

~Gear