• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's minimum and max Resolution setting with 1:1 scale

KaranGrewal

Please advise what minimum and maximum resolution setting is required on artwork when printing on Roland and fuji acuity printers.

2B

too vague of a question.

are you talking about the file resolution or the printer resolution?
also what is the end result? a banner for a "GRAND OPENING" is going to need less resolution than a fine art reproduction.

KaranGrewal

too vague of a question.

are you talking about the file resolution or the printer resolution?
also what is the end result? a banner for a "GRAND OPENING" is going to need less resolution than a fine art reproduction.

Sorry I m asking about file resolution. I have clients asked me at what DPI they should save there artwork. mainly with pictures

rdm01

There are many charts available online. It really depends on what your printing, and more importantly the viewing distance. I've attached two that I found with a quick search.

Attachments

• view_1.PNG
    view_1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 215
  • view_2.PNG
    view_2.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 197

Andy D

Agreed, depends on what you're printing...
a 10' x 20' print that's going to be 20 feet up in the air might only
be 50 DPI, a 2' x 3' print with small copy that will be read 2 feet away would be over 600 DPI.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
There's more to it than just the resolution of the image

Ideally you want to print at least 4 times the image resolution. This give you 16 printer pixels for each image pixel. On a 4 color printer this gives ~4^16 color possibilities for each image pixel. Just what you want.

Then consider that the unaided and non-mutant human eye has a hard time discerning 1 part in 100. That's why a 130 line screen is pretty much the standard for halftone work.

In this shop everything is printed at 720dpi and virtually all bitmap images are sent in RGB at 150ppi. Exceptions for huge things to be mounted far away from any observer are considered but 150ppi and 720dpi represents 99% of all printing done here and there is no reason whatsoever to deal with any higher resolutions. There's never been a complaint in all these years doing it this way.

rdm01

As pointed out by others, the charts I provided were PPI - what your file setup should be within your image editing software. Printer resolution (DPI) should always be higher. For me this is easier to determine with a hands on approach by printing samples. With most wide format machines there will be other settings that change with DPI, like number of passes, that can also have an effect on the final output.