• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's the latest build of Flexi Cloud?

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Build 2080 here, also. My question is: Has anybody received an order from Sign.com or their Sign.com sub domain? I haven't... and I have 13 different domain names pointing to my Sign.com sub domain site.

player

I was wondering about cloud versions and backward compatibility over a long time period...

If you had cloud Flexi for 5 years, how would you open old files with the older versions of the software if you always stay up to date?

I was wondering about cloud versions and backward compatibility over a long time period...

If you had cloud Flexi for 5 years, how would you open old files with the older versions of the software if you always stay up to date?

Not sure that I understand the nature of the question.

Backward compatibility is rarely if ever a problem with most software applications. For example, opening a file that was created in Flexi 8.1 would not be a problem in 8.6 or version 10. In a similar vein, opening a file that was created in Illustrator CS5 should not be a problem with the CC product. Going the other way however, not so much (forward compatibility).

player

I have had problems with programs in the past opening really old files in new versions.

Now I makes sure I keep older versions and old computers so I will have those files and a matched version. But I assume with cloud you can't do that. Or if in 5 years from now the software company is closed, no cloud, no running the program. If you have moved to some other software all the files (all your hard work) are not accessible without buying again- if the company is there and the version supports your old files. Vectors can act up over time as the flavor of the code changes or vanishes. I don't like cloud.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Save the files you want keep into a more universal file format like eps, ai or pdf.
They should be supported much farther into the future by far more applications over the SAi Flexi program.

wayne k
guam usa

player

I guess that is a way, but then all fonts and perhaps effects are not editable anymore. Plus the hassle of exporting all files as eps and storing them.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
This is why I highly dislike so called "cloud" applications. That being said, Flexi has 2 types of their "cloud" version of Flexi. One that they recently introduced is truly what most think of as a "cloud" app in that it is strictly renting your software. You stop paying, it stops working. We have Adobe licenses back to like version 7. If worse comes to worse and I need to open some old file we made in Illustrator 7, I can install Illustrator 7 and work with that file forever if I want to. You Adobe Creative Cloud customers..... what if you get out of the business and discontinue renting Adobe CC and down the road you want to open some Illustrator file? Tough luck.... Its a now useless file. Well - you can rename ai files to PDF and at least look at them with Acrobat reader but what about your In Design indd files?

On SAi, their perpetual license is different..... you pay once and you can run it as long as you like. In the perpetual license "cloud" is just some added features you do not even have to use if you don't want to. The only problem I see down the road with their perpetual licenses is if they eventually change things with the activation. They have 2 types of perpetual licenses, dongle, and electronic. Regardless of which you have both require activation, just the electronic license has to call home to maintain its activation status. If they ever go out of business or shut down the activation server you would never be able to reinstall and get it working again.

A bit over a year ago Adobe did the same with their older activation servers for CS2 versions of their software. They shut the activation servers down permanently. Many complained quite loudly so what Adobe did was to release a copy of their CS2 version programs with the activation no longer required. We can only hope SAi would do the same down the road if they were to change or disable the activation methods for older versions suddenly preventing users from being able to use or re-install their paid for perpetual licenses for older versions of Flexi. I sort of doubt it though....

CES020

You Adobe Creative Cloud customers..... what if you get out of the business and discontinue renting Adobe CC and down the road you want to open some Illustrator file? Tough luck.... Its a now useless file. Well - you can rename ai files to PDF and at least look at them with Acrobat reader but what about your In Design indd files?

We use CC for business use. If our business goes under, then we have no need to open any of the files because we're out of business. I can see where it could cause you concern if you used it at home for a lot of personal stuff, but if it's all business files and your business has folded, what are the chances you'll need to see those files 18 months from now? Worst case, 2 easy options, take the files to someone with the software and get them to open it, or spend $50 for 1 month and get access again, or spend $19.95 for one app for a month and open the files you need to see.

I was strongly against Adobe CC, but I'm a convert now. I'm really happy with it. 95% of what's said about the cloud isn't true anyway.

mopar691

Build 2080 here, also. My question is: Has anybody received an order from Sign.com or their Sign.com sub domain? I haven't... and I have 13 different domain names pointing to my Sign.com sub domain site.

I have fulfilled three so far from the parent site. I do not watch it close enough. Getting better though