• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats your favorite weeding tool?

Marlene

Pat, Why a #16 over a #11? Ive always used a #11, Maybe ill learn something new today.

I too am a #16 only user. for me I like to hold the x-acto low down near the blade so I have more control and with a #11 I'd slice my fingers. the #16 has a little finger rest area

Baz

X-Acto #11 all the way!

You can weed with the tip of the blade then slice up your pieces with the long edge of it.

Had an employee a few years ago demanding #16 blades. Still have some left. They are useless :noway:

I should state the i prefer Grifhold brand blades over x-acto. x-acto does lose it's sharpness way to fast.
Same #11 shape though.

VTSigns

Here is what we use.

Attachments

• 603_weeding_tool_large.jpg
    603_weeding_tool_large.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 126

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
#11 with a slightly dull blade tip.

I have two handles one with a new #11 and one that is slightly worn. Once the new blade gets to the point that it will not do a clean cut it's perfect for weeding.

Same here. I am also the tallest person in the shop. I put one knife out of reach from everyone else so when I need a sharp blade, I know where one is at without changing someone else's dull blade. For weeding, I prefer a dull blade, which is what most of the rest of them are in the shop. Xacto blades are cheap, but it kills me when I see someone cutting paper or mask with it. I also like using a havel's #25 blade and holder for cutting paper.

phototec

After doing this for way longer than most, I used to use the #16 X-Acto for all the points Pat has mentioned, however I switched over to the X3209 X-ACTO retractable knife and find the small angled blade to be just right!

Kind of a shorter version of a #16 blade, and being retractable it eliminates a lot of dangers of a sharp blade that uis exposed all the time and the pocket clip keeps it from rolling off the table.

You really have to try it to realize how well it works, also keep one in my on-site install tool kit!

http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/knives/detail/X3209

Attachments

• 31T5NP8BTML._SY355_.jpg
    31T5NP8BTML._SY355_.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 57497-1009-3-2ww-m.jpg
    57497-1009-3-2ww-m.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 137

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I keep the Havel's Piranha in my pocket, but in the travel kit have a #11 and a few different box cutters/razors.