• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When Cricut grows up...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It's on the horizon and looming ever nearer...perhaps it's already begun to invade your business model: the democratization of all things creative via the use of almost every imaginable manufacturing device connected to a computer.

Print shops were likely some of the first to feel the effects when customers no longer brought in their resume's for professional printing. And then came an array of programs designed to squeeze out the accountant, lawyer, graphics designer, personal assistant and just about everyone else consuming valuable bandwidth on the company payroll.

The Cricut has been discussed numerous times here, but the other new technologies are breaking ground at an ever rapid pace (and bewildering lower costs) to where a lot of the smaller projects (ADA and way-finding signage, etc...) are up for grabs to anybody with a few thousand bucks and a kitchen table. More specifically...lasers, rotary engravers, miniature CNC and so on.

I strongly suspect that Cricut machines won't stay small forever, and I have to believe some of the big names in vinyl cutting have already been discussing contingency plans for their entry-level models.

So...do you have a plan to mitigate areas of potential obsolescence in your business? Or are you jumping on the bandwagon to delve into new areas of technology along with the rest of the pack?

On the other hand, are you blending a bit of the old with the new to differentiate your business?

JB

Last edited:

ikarasu

I'd be more worried about the guy down the street who bought a Latex printer/cutter combo for $11,000, than the 1000's of people who own cricuts.

Cricuts are like Home inkjet printers...They're good for small, home stuff... not so much the stuff we do. You can't do anything on a 12x24" Cutting machine besides JDM stickers and stick figure family decals. On another forum I goto, people print onto matte sticker sheets... tape (Yes, Tape... not overlaminate) over the stickers... use their cricut to cut the design out... then sell it for $4-5 each sticker on etsy. Hours of work to make a couple bucks... them are the people cricuts are marketed at. I think cut vinyl is still a Niche market, it's not going to get too wide spread in homes. All the Kraft moms do it for parties / wedding invitations, etc.

My new neighbor was telling me she had one when she saw my wrapped vehicle. Told me how she did all her kids school crafts and T-shirts and parties with it... she was so happy about it and showed me. The speed on the thing is atrocious :D I brought her to my basement and showed her the graphtec. Loaded a roll... Set it to cut 20 or so of the decals she just cut... and within a minute everything was done. She was dumbfounded...

A cricut can't compete with proper equipment. Not until / unless they come out with a 24" roll option, which wouldn't surprise me. But even if they did.. Not everyone can center and put stuff one straight... So I'm still not worried. You can buy car wrap vinyl on Amazon... How many people do you know that wrap their own vehicle?

There will always be new tech to purchase to keep current. Printers have changed so much in just the past 5 years, CNC routers have become more affordable... Technology is adapting, and yes... we need to adapt with it.

All the old timers on here reminisce about hand lettering and hand painting.Now you have graphtecs and flatbeds and what took days to do takes minutes. I'm sure in 10 years, all us newcomes will be feeling the same way, thinking back to the old days where we had to print then laminate then apply, while now everything is automated and instant at the press of a button.

Theres lots to worry about, lots of changes to think about... Cricut isn't one thats ever crossed my mind though!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Not just Cricut, but more importantly, all the other things coming down the pike that have the potential to disrupt...

JB

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A major thing to watch is the dawning of 5G networks. The speeds and capacities are so outrageously greater than what we use these days that it will be truly revolutionary ... as in Guttenburg inventing the printing press. A download that currently would take 6 minutes on a 4G network will take about 3 seconds on 5G. In particular, in the area of artificial intelligence finding its way into just about any kind of automation and/or software. From what I gather, 5G will not be an overnight change due to costs and other issues but it is reasonable to expect that it will be up to about 50% of internet traffic by 2025. Also, from what I gather, major players including some countries like China are making heavy commitments to this new technology.

WildWestDesigns

i guess it really is just society moving forward like it always has, you find an area to make money or your aged out.

Change with the times or the times change you.

In particular, in the area of artificial intelligence finding its way into just about any kind of automation and/or software.

This is perhaps the one thing that has the most potential to disrupt that I would be having on my mind.

While there is rudimentary AI in software now, it's atrocious (always roll my eyes when people suggest that in some cases it's "good enough") even when everything is setup just right to give it the best chance of working and even then production wise, it's still leaves a lot to be desired. Doesn't matter if you spend $200 or $15k. Although, sometimes one does better then the other, and it's not necessarily based on price point either.

"AI v. 2" is where things may change. I would say in your bigger real world applications that get to the bigger market seeing the effects sooner, the more niche markets, it'll take awhile. How good it still does, is still to be determined. How much the cost will be as a barrier to entry, will also be a consideration, even with the new vogue of SaaS. Depending on how good this implementation of AI is will determine if the "older" pros need to invest or run the risk of being phased out.

One downside (or upside depending on "your" perspective) to more in-depth automation within a process, it potentially means a greater risk of the "operator" not knowing what's going on, how to fix it or how to make it better etc. This is what's still working in my favor to a degree. I say to a degree due to the newbies coming in don't really know quality and what is being spit out by the AI accept it as quality (again this is rudimentary AI as it is now, not necessarily what's in the pipeline, but it would perhaps be the same people implementing the new, so may still not get it right), when it is far from it.

As to home production machines getting "bigger" and that being a concern. In order to do well in the home market, the people that are buying have a different mind set and it's within that mindset that one has to develop/produce/market/sell those products to. We would have to be talking about a really old commercial machine going up against no expenses spared home machine or an entry level commercial/hobby machine against the dedicated home machines.

equippaint

You can already buy cheap full sized plotters and have been able to for years. $200 at USCutter gets you a 24" model with software and then goes up from there. I can see other changes, like always, affecting things but all in all these cricut people do it as a hobby and have zero intentions of doing anything more with it. There's nothing wrong with that. Part of staying successful in business is creating barriers, you have to invest in things to keep your capabilities beyond the reach of Joe Blow startup guy. If you just sit back feeling like you are entitled to never have any competitors because you invested $20k on something 10 years ago that can now be had for $1k, then you are going to get run over at some point in time.

WildWestDesigns

but all in all these cricut people do it as a hobby and have zero intentions of doing anything more with it.

There is nothing wrong with that, but I wish that was the case. A local business trade show that I go to around here, there was a vendor selling cricut specifically to businesses to be used (Cricut actually does have a "pro" model as well that I think is $1500 or $2K). I had one digitizing customer that used it in her daily business (not even a home business, but a traditional business as well; she used the home model, not the pro version).

Part of staying successful in business is creating barriers, you have to invest in things to keep your capabilities beyond the reach of Joe Blow startup guy.

Absolutely, for me personally, I would suggest something that would be more unique to me, then just something that anyone can buy.

With the exceptions of a couple of pieces of software that I've altered (although the base software can still be had by anyone), the software part that I use can be had by anyone at any time for free. It's all about the knowledge in how to use it. That's the barrier that I prefer to have.

petepaz

actually the cricut is a step backwards and was made specifically for that home hobby person. before the cricut was around they already had plotters and printers that could be used for home type business. 15" and 24" printers and plotters have been around for a while. the cricut was just for the as seen on tv crowd to wow them. but if they make a couple iron ons or party banners and think they can do what we do then have at it. enjoy the learning experience. listen i don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to do what we do but you don't learn it from using a 12" home version of the game

Arlo Kalon 2.0

No matter what technology springs on me, I have little fear a soccer mom working at her kitchen table will ever make anything I do obsolete. Back during the years I was a daily participant on this forum it was widely known I was one of the dinosaurs like Old Paint. One of the most fulfilling eras in my life was the traditional apprenticeship I had under three different master signpainters. I swept their floors and was their gopher while being slowly taught the ropes of hand lettering. Actually, brush manipulation was a much smaller part of my training than you might imagine. First, I had to learn proper layout or as the late Mike Stevens described it, the Art of Eye Appeal. Until I mastered creating layouts that would compel people to look at them getting to dip a brush in paint was still out of reach. The total lack of effective layout skills remains the biggest plague of the no talent computerized jonny come latelys into this trade. I see it several times a week particularly in vehicle wraps where point and click background fills overwhelm the message and poor lettering selection obscures readability. It's become entirely normal for completely ineffective signs to pop up on new businesses that don't stand a chance insofar as the public bothering to notice their cookie cutter sign. This is a direct result of a keyboard making entry into sign production possible for people who wouldn't have stood a chance in the old traditional way it used to be. Before anybody points out to me that I'm likely just a bitter washed up signpainter I'd add that all of this became a non issue for me almost a decade ago. I comfortably retired at age 58 and live in a beautiful brick home in the country with a shop building in my back yard where I look out the windows to horses at my fence. I sit in climate controlled comfort doing what I want, when I want. I now make hand lettered interior decor signs and terrorize the cricut owners when my booth is close to theirs at the numerous craft fairs I attend yearly. I also get on average one custom sign order at each of the craft fairs. In addition, I have pinstriped over two thousand v twin motorcycles during a 3 year long association with a major motorcycle manufacturer. I occasionally have someone drop off a motorcycle at my shop where I leisurely stripe it over the course of one or two days and pick up $400 in cash at the minimum. As for untalented competition, I haven't come up against any and it's likely I won't. Advanced as sign production software has become, it still hasn't overcome the computerized dilemma of garbage in garbage out. I'm happy for anybody who finds fulfillment in their pursuit of the sign business. It's been incredibly good to me and I'm the first to recognize that time marches on and everything changes. I'm very aware of how the timing of my early retirement worked out very well for me. I have no doubt I couldn't sustain a storefront business doing it the traditional way anymore. But I had a fulfilling run at it and raised a family on my terms in the meantime. I'm having the most fun ever with what I'm doing now. I always used to say back before computerized production arrived that my job was like being paid to be on vacation everyday. Quitting time always came way too early. How many people in whatever occupation can say that? I still get to, and I'm helping a young mother who has a cricut learn some skills to advance her ability to earn more money in something she obviously loves as much as I do. Someday I might get her better along with brush lettering but right now I'm happy just seeing improvement in her layouts.

We always welcome new technology. We are more worried about automation and when the correct time is going to be to switch over.
Saw this at SGIA 2 years ago or so. They already are making machines that pick up your board from a pallet. Print the board. Router or drag knife cut your board to shape and dump a finished product at the end. This is a machine that takes 1 operator to run and could effectively get rid of a whole shop of people. Combine this with a fast shipping time and you wouldn't be able to compete unless you switched. 1 day guy and 1 night guy and your doing 24 hour production with 2 people

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We always welcome new technology. We are more worried about automation and when the correct time is going to be to switch over.
Saw this at SGIA 2 years ago or so. They already are making machines that pick up your board from a pallet. Print the board. Router or drag knife cut your board to shape and dump a finished product at the end. This is a machine that takes 1 operator to run and could effectively get rid of a whole shop of people. Combine this with a fast shipping time and you wouldn't be able to compete unless you switched. 1 day guy and 1 night guy and your doing 24 hour production with 2 people

This will get you 24 hour production out of 1 people

1.jpg

d fleming

No matter what technology springs on me, I have little fear a soccer mom working at her kitchen table will ever make anything I do obsolete. Back during the years I was a daily participant on this forum it was widely known I was one of the dinosaurs like Old Paint. One of the most fulfilling eras in my life was the traditional apprenticeship I had under three different master signpainters. I swept their floors and was their gopher while being slowly taught the ropes of hand lettering. Actually, brush manipulation was a much smaller part of my training than you might imagine. First, I had to learn proper layout or as the late Mike Stevens described it, the Art of Eye Appeal. Until I mastered creating layouts that would compel people to look at them getting to dip a brush in paint was still out of reach. The total lack of effective layout skills remains the biggest plague of the no talent computerized jonny come latelys into this trade. I see it several times a week particularly in vehicle wraps where point and click background fills overwhelm the message and poor lettering selection obscures readability. It's become entirely normal for completely ineffective signs to pop up on new businesses that don't stand a chance insofar as the public bothering to notice their cookie cutter sign. This is a direct result of a keyboard making entry into sign production possible for people who wouldn't have stood a chance in the old traditional way it used to be. Before anybody points out to me that I'm likely just a bitter washed up signpainter I'd add that all of this became a non issue for me almost a decade ago. I comfortably retired at age 58 and live in a beautiful brick home in the country with a shop building in my back yard where I look out the windows to horses at my fence. I sit in climate controlled comfort doing what I want, when I want. I now make hand lettered interior decor signs and terrorize the cricut owners when my booth is close to theirs at the numerous craft fairs I attend yearly. I also get on average one custom sign order at each of the craft fairs. In addition, I have pinstriped over two thousand v twin motorcycles during a 3 year long association with a major motorcycle manufacturer. I occasionally have someone drop off a motorcycle at my shop where I leisurely stripe it over the course of one or two days and pick up $400 in cash at the minimum. As for untalented competition, I haven't come up against any and it's likely I won't. Advanced as sign production software has become, it still hasn't overcome the computerized dilemma of garbage in garbage out. I'm happy for anybody who finds fulfillment in their pursuit of the sign business. It's been incredibly good to me and I'm the first to recognize that time marches on and everything changes. I'm very aware of how the timing of my early retirement worked out very well for me. I have no doubt I couldn't sustain a storefront business doing it the traditional way anymore. But I had a fulfilling run at it and raised a family on my terms in the meantime. I'm having the most fun ever with what I'm doing now. I always used to say back before computerized production arrived that my job was like being paid to be on vacation everyday. Quitting time always came way too early. How many people in whatever occupation can say that? I still get to, and I'm helping a young mother who has a cricut learn some skills to advance her ability to earn more money in something she obviously loves as much as I do. Someday I might get her better along with brush lettering but right now I'm happy just seeing improvement in her layouts.
Arlo, as always, brother, you rock.

d fleming

We opened our distillery and sold to the public for the first time this past weekend. Retirement plan in full effect. I am having a ball making rum. I am keeping my old and faithful sign and screen print customer base and slowing everything else down.

Attachments

• bottles on bar.JPEG
    bottles on bar.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 150

clarizeyale

as a crafter who once contemplated buying a Cricut, the sign shop experienced person in me says hell no, not worth the money if a printer and plotter could do the job SOO much better. (unless I was making super duper tinyyyyyyyyyyyyy things, then maybe.. nah... still most likely a no)

morty87

Lol i started with a cricut last year and now have a mutoh 1624 and a kona 1400 :) an i still thank all you for the help you have given me over the past year an a bit. Much appreciated.

brycesteiner

The issue I have with cricut is the software. They make sure you can't do anything with it outside their software. I have people bring me art they built (preexisitng art?) in cricut and want me to print it larger as their logo. It was a pain because it wouldn't export vectors at all. It couldn't print to a vector. I ended up recreating the file in order so that it wasn't pixelated on printing.

WildWestDesigns

They make sure you can't do anything with it outside their software. I have people bring me art they built (preexisitng art?) in cricut and want me to print it larger as their logo.

The nature of all closed source software actually (even the software that we use have their own quirks with being able to be used with other programs, not everything translates exactly right for all the tools in the program), but especially prevalent in closed source home software, much bigger extent with those programs then the commercial ones. But vendor lock in is everywhere.

Now, I do think with the Pro version of Cricut (and the resulting software), there is more latitude in that regard. But not many go with the Pro version in my experience (and only my experience). After all, could get a GX-24 for roughly the same price as Cricut's Pro version. At least, last time I checked.