• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to find back-lite routed wood letters

csudman

Working on a interior project at a office. I need 13" letters routed out of wood and stain finished. BUT, they also want the letters to have a halo from leds.

Suggestions? Gemini and Letters Etc said no.

Thanks
CJ

Kottwitz-Graphics

Anyone with a CNC router. If I was doing them in house, I would route in reverse, and mill out an area for the LEDs to lay into. That way I could plunge stud holes for mounting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My only thought would be, is if it's legal to put electrical items inside a wooden cabinet so to speak. LEDs might have a different standard, but I'd check with codes before you make it. :wink:

J Hill Designs

My only thought would be, is if it's legal to put electrical items inside a wooden cabinet so to speak. LEDs might have a different standard, but I'd check with codes before you make it. :wink:

since LED is class 2 it should be fine in wood.

rossmosh

Using LEDs in wood shouldn't be an issue. LEDs are very safe and produce very little heat. I see a few obstacles.

1. Cutting the letters right the first time. 13" letters you're going to want a bit of depth so it gives a nice even glow vs more of a pinpoint "hard" light. It takes a little testing to figure that out.

2. Finding a shop that wants to cut and finish the letters. A lot of shops are setup to cut but less shops are setup to cut, do electrical, and finish after.

3. Liability with the electrical. LEDs are generally very safe but in the end, if you put a "DIY" electrical component in something and you have to be willing to take on the responsibility and liability.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Another thought that just came to me, if you want a true wooden letter, 13" is going to be expensive, depending on the wood used... my local specialty wood shop has wood boards, but I'm not sure 14 or 15 inches wide.... you may have to have them built out (I'm not even sure what you call it) edge to edge...