• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to get empty cores

Dukenukem117

I need empty 3" ID cores to act as take-up reels. I called my media suppliers and none of them have them. Is there anywhere else I can get these? The ones advertised for shipping have walls that are too thin.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe I can just hit up some local print shops. I'm not in the sign business, so maybe they won't see it as competition?
Should work. They are a nuisance once you run out of clever ways to use them around the shop.
We are within smelling distance of a recycling company so it is easy enough to load up the shop truck & dump them off.

Dukenukem117

Should work. They are a nuisance once you run out of clever ways to use them around the shop.
We are within smelling distance of a recycling company so it is easy enough to load up the shop truck & dump them off.

What clever ways are there? I know they use thick cardboard tubes for pyrotechnic work.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
What clever ways are there? I know they use thick cardboard tubes for pyrotechnic work.
We nail them to 2x4s with the core caps and use them to roll off material when trimming stuff out.
We install banner wraps on roadside monument signs here and they are 160" tall. Tape 3 cores together and backroll the banner onto them - one guy can roll the wrap onto the sign - set the bottom then get on the ladder and secure the top. No folding of the wrap - no creases.
One night I was working late - upstairs tenant sprung a leak and water started dripping down hitting a cross beam and splashing onto my printer and supplies. I used a core, some duct tape and plastic to catch and redirect the drip into a bucket until the landlord could take care of the pipe.....

shoresigns

I suppose that raises the other question of what do people usually do with empty ones? Just dump em?

We always keep a bunch on hand for the takeups on our printer and laminator, and we recycle the rest. All our media comes on 3" cores, so we always have more coming in.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
imagejpeg_0.jpg

i had about 100 30" and 10 or so 54" i had been saving for about 6 months, i took them home and built a teepee, leaned a couple old wooden doors on it and set it a blaze....

oh my, the flames were about 30 feet tall and absolutely cooking!

neighbor called the fire department, they showed up, i had a hose with me (cuz i already knew the drill)

they asked me "do you have a hose", i said yep, and they said ok, have a nice day.

Last edited:

ikarasu

I made a cat tree put of them

We get dozens a week. Most go into our cardboard bin to recycle. We keep 5-10 of each on hand for our take up.... But if you go into any sign shop odds are they'll give you as many as you want.

I bought some 3" caps on uline.... And I started to ship single prints out in the cores. We don't get many single prints... So that's very rare. But if you're shipping wall decals or something that's under a few ft.. You can roll them up and throw them loosely in the core.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I made a cat tree put of them

We get dozens a week. Most go into our cardboard bin to recycle. We keep 5-10 of each on hand for our take up.... But if you go into any sign shop odds are they'll give you as many as you want.

I bought some 3" caps on uline.... And I started to ship single prints out in the cores. We don't get many single prints... So that's very rare. But if you're shipping wall decals or something that's under a few ft.. You can roll them up and throw them loosely in the core.

I use to ship in the cores but FedEx surcharge $15 each time you do it... they dont like them anymore.

ikarasu

Yup... It's the same over here. Cylinders are an extra $10... I guess because they can't stack them easily.

There's a local third party shipping provider that doesn't charge more for them though... Funny enough they cross the border into Washington and ship all their packages (even Canadian destined ones) out of usa... And it costs half the price as it would to ship domestically. Canadian shipping sucks.

So I use them when I can depending on what it is. The whole cross border thing adds a few days... So I use them if a buddy on the east coast wants a wall decal or something.

ikarasu

What if you put them in a cheap square box first? The tube provides more strength and the box removes the surcharge.

https://www.uline.com/BL_3656/Square-Tubes

We keep a few of our vinyl boxes for this.... and cores. But usually when we put them in the box, we wrap the prints around the core... throw the plastic sleeve that came with the vinyl over top... Put the cores back in so the print is centered in the box, and ship it that way. Never had any damage or scratches on the prints when doing it like this.