• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which best describes You?

What Best Describes You?

• Full Time - Owner - Retail Shop

Votes: 67 43.5%
  • Full time - Employee of Sign Shop

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Full Time - Work From Home Shop

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • Part Time - Sideline to Another Retail Business

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Part Time - Work Somewhere Else, Do Signs Nights & Weekends

Votes: 33 21.4%
  • Strictly a hobby - Do Some Work For Friends

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Grasshopper

Part time weekly. Up untill recently I was only doing contract work on the weekends. For the last few years Ive been a fencing instructor and coach in the evenings and university student in the mornings...weekend sign work helped pay for what fencing and scholarships didn't. Im trying to get going fulltime.

PGSigns

I selected part time but I am some where in the middle between part time and full time work from home shop. I have a 1300 square foot shop I work out of that is fully equiped for metal fabrication and sign production and another 200 square feet of office space with the printer and plotter.
Jimmy

mark in tx

Full time- half owner of business.
Things evolve constantly, went from doing mostly retail car art, to doing mostly commercial work, and wholesaling to small town sign shops that don't print on their own and wholesaling to screen printers.

Went from struggling to improve my design skills, to having 2 graphic artists on staff, 1 is freshly school trained, the other is school trained and has about 5 years mixed experience in advertising agency work and freelance.

Went from a 200 sq/ft shop space sublet from another business to a 2700 sq/ft space with a double door garage, separate production, design, and office spaces.

Went from losing money to making money.

Still need to update my horrible website.:rolleyes:

Pro Image

10 years now.......started in 97 in a 10x12 bedroom, moved to a retail shop 6months later had gross sales at almost 300,000.00 in 2000 got a divorce(YEA)
moved back to my home town in 2001,I went to work with my dad at the garage...... Started back in signs in 2002 and screenprinting in 2003. I am in the mist of moving to a 1400sqft shop with 2 10x12 doors and a 200 sqft office. Liife is getting better by the day....................

I picked Full Time - Owner - Retail Shop, I have another business that I probably spend 20 hours a week working, then I do signs & T-shirts the other 70-80 hours a week, I am gearing towards selling my retail location and moving to the house and building a new shop, within the next year I hope.

drakesis

I picked "Full Time - Work From Home Shop" but I'm more of Freelance/Design.
I have a shop at home but it's hardly used.

Geary

Part time now after being in the business of making signs and pictorials since 1972. Started as a hired silkscreen guy and got into calligraphy, hand brush lettering and picture work while still in college at Pasadena, CA. The place was called Dalco in Temple City. The family name was Dale. We hand cut most of the jobs, lacquer applied film. One of our clients was "Commander Motor Homes" One order consisted of 5,000 pulls....which I did all by my self. I can still feel the brain damage from that one.....whewwwweeeeeee!!!!! That's why I do this :tongue: a lot.

My life is in 'thirds' now. One third sign guy, one third fine artist, one third musician where I play drums and sing with a 60s&70s cover band.

~Gear:tongue:....far out man....:peace!:

ssanchez

Full time owner - Licensed electrical signs Retail, don't wholesale. are the bread and butter. after that its repairs and some of the other stuff you guys do.