• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which canvas?

Signed Out

pub sign.jpg I am trying to decide which type of canvas or textured material to use. Had another thread about this so sorry for the double post. I will be mounting the scene onto the wood frame (painted hdu). I want to use a canvas material or maybe a wallpaper material. I plan on brushing clearshield on to add brush strokes. I would like to hear what others would suggest for a material and how you would apply it to the frame. I have been looking into magiclee GFCVM Acid-Free Matte Inkjet Canvas, and phototex. I like that phototex is adhesive backed. How would i mount the canvas, wallpaper glue? Also after i have the print mounted to the frame I was planning on taping off a narrow path around the edge of the canvas and frame, run a thin bead of caulk to hide the edge of the printed material. Does that sound like a good idea? I am printing with a roland xj540 eco sol max ink

Thanks

Circleville Signs

Nope - get an acid free spray adhesive, or do what we do. I buy foamcore from Culvers that already has an acid free heat activated adhesive on one side. We have a framing press so we just put the print on there, press it for 90 seconds, and it's ready to trim out and use.

Signed Out

I dont want to have to add in the thickness of an extra substrate. i've used 3m super 77 spray adhesive in the past but pretty sure that is acid based. What acid free adhesive have you used in the past? Do you think the adhesive is somewhat slideable like wallpaper? Wondering because its hard to imagine laying the print down perfect.

Signed Out

what about phototex. I have read some stuff on here about it but mostly where people were applying it directly to a wall. Does this stuf have the similar look and texture that canvas does? Just seems like it would be easier to work with.

Circleville Signs

Problem with phototex is that it is not a permanent solution. I'll see what I can find for you regarding acid free adhesives - your best bet is a framing supply company like Culvers.

Signed Out

Thanks, i didn't realize that phototex wasn't a permanent solution. I'll take a look at what culvers has on their website.

Signed Out

thanks phototec! thats exactly what I was looking for... seriously though it was a creative way to tell me to f*** off.

...just trying to get relavent opinons if anybody here on signs has done s similar project with good results.

Thanks

J Hill Designs

thanks phototec! thats exactly what I was looking for... seriously though it was a creative way to tell me to f*** off.

...just trying to get relavent opinons if anybody here on signs has done s similar project with good results.

Thanks

IMO it gave you exactly what you asked for...

Signed Out

trust me i googled it first... There are a ton of different products out there.

Looking for first hand expierence. What has worked best for others in the past.

Jhill, phototech have either of you ever used a spray adhesive to adhere canvas to painted hdu. If so which product did you use? Were there any pros or cons? Did the adhesive set up instantly or was there a period of time that you could slide the canvas around to line up properly? Or was it a one shot deal?

Also still wondering about a small beed of caulk on the perimeter to cover hide the seam between the canvas print and painted hdu.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Seriously? what the heck is wrong with 3m spray adhesive, it's acid free and will stick wallpaper to an elephants ***.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
If you're looking for a spray adhesive that will hold 100% for years on end with no issue with just the adhesive alone ... won't happen ... they all brittle or die with age and exposure. since the canvas will lay flat into the frame ... why not just flood the surface of the canvas with a urethane coat like a bar top? You know, the ones they embed pennys and photos into. It will preserve the canvas forever if it's solvent based and the urethane will have to be chiselled out to take the print out.

Signed Out

Tyrant I like the idea to flood the frame with polly. will probably go that route. this may be a dumb question but I shouldn't need to clearshield the canvas before I flood with poly, should I?