• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Which Laser Should I Buy?

kaycee

I have a question about the best laser machine to purchase. We are primarily interested in cutting acrylic for ADA signs, finished with a polished edge. We'll be flatbed printing the tactile text and braille, not using Raster beads.

We have narrowed it down to Epilog (Fusion Pro 32 80-W), Trotec (Speedy 80-W), and Laguna (EX-150W). The Laguna is ½ the price but the Epilog and Trotec are more current technology and much smaller and lighter.

Any advise is much appreciated, thank you!!

CanuckSigns

We have owned 8 trotecs over the years, they are absolute workhorses! Ours run for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with no issues over the last 15 years.

Also, regarding printing tactile & braille, have you looked into that? My understanding is that is an incredibly slow process with less than stellar results.

kaycee

We have owned 8 trotecs over the years, they are absolute workhorses! Ours run for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with no issues over the last 15 years.

Also, regarding printing tactile & braille, have you looked into that? My understanding is that is an incredibly slow process with less than stellar results.
Thanks for the thumbs up for Trotec, they definitely look like a great machine. Appreciate your caution on the braille printing process. We're in the process of comparing samples of various techniques before we make a final decision. We were hoping to learn more at the ISA show this month, but alas that was not to be :)

BKBRO

We have an Epilog Fusion M2 75watt. It's been a great machine. We're looking at adding a Fusion Pro 48 dual-laser, so we're obviously happy with Epilog. If you're going to be cutting substrates >1/4", I'd suggest getting the additional 4" lens. And a pin table makes it a lot easier to avoid fogging on the backside when cutting acrylic.

Superior_Adam

We run Trotec lasers and have for many years. They are great machines. Currently we have 4 with one being the Fiber/CO2 combo unit.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Since you are running a laser, why not cut the applique lettering on it as well? Seems that would be a lot faster and more consistent color-wise. We have a Vision 16x24 for ADA signs. You could get one of those for just doing the Braille. Trotec is the Cadillac - if you have the budget, you can't go wrong with one. Just curious, why does being smaller and lighter make a laser machine better?

GB2

Old Member
Just curious, does anyone have any experience with Universal? The last time I made the rounds looking at lasers at trade shows, I pretty much had my mind set on purchasing a Universal but it hasn't happened yet.

fixtureman

For just cutting any laser is OK. The Trotec is the fastest for engraving but the same speed as any Chinese laser of the same power.

CanuckSigns

For just cutting any laser is OK. The Trotec is the fastest for engraving but the same speed as any Chinese laser of the same power.

Not completely true, the trotec uses a ceramic laser tube, where the Chinese machine is glass. The glass tube has a shelf life of xx months from the date it was made due to the gasses escaping the glass, the ceramic tube does not have that issue and can last for years.

Laser tubes on Chinese machines are consumables, they cost a few hundred dollars and you need to keep a few on hand due to long lead times and a high DOA rate. Also Chinese lasers can not be run at 100% power for long, it kills the tubes, most don't recommend going above 80% of full power.

If you want a hybrid solution, look into rabbit lasers, they are Chinese machines, with American distribution and support, they are more expensive then dealing directly with China, but if you have issues there is someone who can fly out and fix it.

fixtureman

Not completely true, the trotec uses a ceramic laser tube, where the Chinese machine is glass. The glass tube has a shelf life of xx months from the date it was made due to the gasses escaping the glass, the ceramic tube does not have that issue and can last for years.

Laser tubes on Chinese machines are consumables, they cost a few hundred dollars and you need to keep a few on hand due to long lead times and a high DOA rate. Also Chinese lasers can not be run at 100% power for long, it kills the tubes, most don't recommend going above 80% of full power.

If you want a hybrid solution, look into rabbit lasers, they are Chinese machines, with American distribution and support, they are more expensive then dealing directly with China, but if you have issues there is someone who can fly out and fix it.

You should not keep laser tubes as they are easy to get from several different suppliers quickly. Also not true about the 80% if the power supply is adjusted correct You just have to know the max milliamps the tube can handle. A good Reci tube can last for years.

ProColorGraphics

If you want a glass tube CO2 laser, defiantly check out Aeon. They have US sales and support based in Florida. I absolutely LOVE mine. www.aeonlaser.us.

For print/cut jobs, you will want to go with Epilog or Trotec with a registration camera. On thinner acrylic, they are capable of leaving a nicer/polished edge as well.

johnnysigns

We've been running a Boss Laser 3655 and it's been a decent machine. For the cost/value you can't really beat a system like this. It requires some hands on tweaking and greater care than a name brand laser, but would make a good starter machine for anyone looking to test the waters with laser cutting.