• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Which Plotter to buy

MQ Design

Hi there,

I am new to this. I have been working in large format printing for over 10 years. But wanted to setup something on the side. I have a bought a second hand Epson s60600 which is running great. I am in need of a plotter for contour cut. At work we use the d160 summa. I have looked but the prices are out of my range. What other plotters are available to work with the current setup. I am running onyx 12. Thanks in advance.

Jeremiah

Hi there,

I am new to this. I have been working in large format printing for over 10 years. But wanted to setup something on the side. I have a bought a second hand Epson s60600 which is running great. I am in need of a plotter for contour cut. At work we use the d160 summa. I have looked but the prices are out of my range. What other plotters are available to work with the current setup. I am running onyx 12. Thanks in advance.
New to this , worked for 10 years , set up something on the side , bought one machine and want to buy another . Reminds me of a former employee of mine , who wanted to set up something on the side. One evening I walked into the shop. A job was running. The employee was there alone. I noticed some of my files out. Then I noticed the job running was one of MY customers. I left and the next day I contacted the customer to ask if he needed anything else. He stated that my employee had contacted our customer. To get to the point , my employee was stealing . I got his key and he never did any work for me again. I expect 100% loyalty as that is what I gave him .

Johnny Best

Don't think your going to get any feedback from Jeremiah!
US Cutter has some low cost plotters, ebay and some Merchant Members on here deal in used plotters.
Good luck on starting out on your own.

ikarasu

New to this , worked for 10 years , set up something on the side , bought one machine and want to buy another . Reminds me of a former employee of mine , who wanted to set up something on the side. One evening I walked into the shop. A job was running. The employee was there alone. I noticed some of my files out. Then I noticed the job running was one of MY customers. I left and the next day I contacted the customer to ask if he needed anything else. He stated that my employee had contacted our customer. To get to the point , my employee was stealing . I got his key and he never did any work for me again. I expect 100% loyalty as that is what I gave him .
And then on the opposite side...

I purchased a printer / plotter / laminator for my house. I was upfront with the owner I work for, and he had no issues with it. I've never stolen a client, or even sold locally - I have a completely different business model. I make more doing my own work than I do working for him, and its likely the only reason I still work there. I don't plan on quitting, Never stolen any material, or files, or anything - infact I've helped out / printed 30-40 rolls so far while the business printer was down.

Just because you had a bad employee, doesn't mean this guy will be!

I say get a used graphtec or summa. It's expensive, but worth it. I don't like the cheaper cutters

MQ Design

Cheers for the reply guys. I will keep looking. The company i am working for is about to pack up. I have been loyal to my employer, worked for him for over 10 years with not a single complaint. I will continue to work for him as long as possible. I am only doing this for the long run. I never used any material or files from him without asking. Everytime I do ask, my employer says I do not have to ask and just to use it.

Jeremiah

And then on the opposite side...

I purchased a printer / plotter / laminator for my house. I was upfront with the owner I work for, and he had no issues with it. I've never stolen a client, or even sold locally - I have a completely different business model. I make more doing my own work than I do working for him, and its likely the only reason I still work there. I don't plan on quitting, Never stolen any material, or files, or anything - infact I've helped out / printed 30-40 rolls so far while the business printer was down.

Just because you had a bad employee, doesn't mean this guy will be!

I say get a used graphtec or summa. It's expensive, but worth it. I don't like the cheaper cutters
Actually , I feel bad if anyone thought I was implying that THIS person was a bad person. Just explaining the reality check that I got years ago. I'd did not happen to us once . But twice over the years. I treated all employees like family . Our rule changed to no work outside our shop. Hope no one here gets "offended" by our reality check rule in our shop .