• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which printer for mostly lettering + graphics (indoor/outdoor)

sabah

Hello,

I am a long time lurker of Signs101 but first time poster. I know there are similar posts on "which printer for" but I am hoping I can get more clarity based on my needs.

I am looking to expand my services by going into mainly printed lettering/words and graphics but have a difficult time choosing a printer (eco-solvent, UV, or latex ink and which brand?).
Here are some of my concerns/needs.

1. I have Summa S2 T140, I currently cut lettering and designs. It's all mono-color vinyl though and very limited.
2. I am a home based business - my plotter sits in my office (not my garage).
3. I get a lot of customers asking for lettering/words that my plotter just can't do (multiple colors, designs, adding a multi-colored graphic with the words, etc...).
4. I want to start printing words and graphics and cutting them with my Summa. I will get a laminator in the future.

My biggest concerns are:
What printer is best suited for words/graphics that are seen at multiple distances (close up like on a 4" x 4" sticker, from a far, etc...)? I heard reviews that latex is very grainy up close and that eco-solvent prints better quality images but require out gassing and proper ventilation. I like the idea of laminating right after I print (latex and UV capable). I can move operations to my garage to prevent fumes from entering my home if I choose the eco-solvent, otherwise I would keep a latex printer in my office. Is the print quality of a HP latex sticker really bad up close (grainy, dull colors, etc...)?

Any advice would help and be much appreciated.

brdesign

The latex printers require a lot of current, so before considering a latex check with an electrician, you may need to do some rewiring to meet the electrical requirements.