• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which printer?

ronnalee

After going to the Las Vegas Show and the Ft. Worth show, I'm now more confused as to which printer to purchase. I'm just starting out and money is a concern. So I can't afford the HP9000 even though I think it has the best color. I'm also looking at the Roland Versacam vp540 and the Valuejet/prismjet. Are there others with 6 color but using the ecosolvents? I ask this because I was told that 6 color vs. 4 color is the reason the hp9000 has such vivid color. For those of you out there that have used these, I would appreciate some feedback or suggestions.
Ronnalee

Print-Kwik

I have a ValueJet and my customers are very pleased with the image quality. The price is quite nice also...

oc63rag

You can get an HP9000 right now for about $20K. HP is doing some kind of promotion with cash back/rebate incentives. Of course, it's a "offer ends soon" kind of deal.

Matt Cuellar

I'd recommend the ValueJet over the HP. Honestly, it has better speed (new firmware on the 64" unit has it up to 189 sq/ft per hour), production capabilities, lower cost of operation (4-color v 6-color), and prints MUCH nicer (1440 dpi v. 720 dpi) as a 4-color process versus HP (much higher color gamut than the 9000). And with the HP, you're not getting any new technology...just an old, outdated Seiko Colorpainter. You'll have to have it ventilated no matter what (additional cost) and have an external dryer, which all of the sudden makes your $19,000 deal a $22-23k deal. You don't need any of that with the ValueJet and the prints are just as durable. Also, the "HP Special" is nothing special. It's an incentive so an HP sales guy can get a back end spiff for moving product. If it's normally a $30k printer, ask yourself, why would they give me $10k off? Is it because it's a good deal? Not likely if you've worked with HP before, it's because they're losing out to other printers and they need to move units to gain market share. Look around! HP offers cash back on every wide format printer, because they've missed the mark!

The 9000 is a joke in my opinion. Just a way for HP to make more money because of their name, but not the technology. Mutoh's i2 Interweave wave pattern is the best thing to hit the market in a long time and that's part of the reason Mimaki, HP, and Roland are nervous. Mutoh beat them to the punch with the best technology and they'll be suffering for some time until they can find something more efficient. Don't sell the ValueJet short...it'll compete just fine with the rest of the market and believe, you'll be much more satisfied. Find a dealer that understands color managment and support, that'll make all the difference. Check us out if you're interested.

Matt Cuellar
mattc@unicadigital.com
www.unicadigital.com
www.colormanged.com
(425) 774-3136

oc63rag

Matt, you bring up some good points. What is the 64" Mutoh actually selling for? I believe it lists for $22K?

whoistfd

Mutoh vs HP

Well I have to chime in a little on this topic. I have had a mutoh for the past 2 years and I would not by another one, due to the very bad support offered to the end users. I could tell you of many horror stories dealing with support, repair, and color matching and repeating color from job to job, in dealing with the mutoh. We have had many conversations with color people and profile people and that issues that we have had with our 48" just could not be corrected. (they might be now, but I would not give them another chance due to growth rate of our business. We were out of business for more thatn 2 weeks and would have been more if we did not shake a few mutoh trees) However, that is the printer that allowed us to know that tha market could handle more large format in our area.

Having said all thatl, I started to look for a new printer about a year ago and yes, I settled on the HP 9000. I am totally happy with the support, speed, color repeatability, colors that we are able to reach, and the durablity of the prints. We do not laminate all the prints that go out of the shop as we did with most eco prints. The eco was very easily scratched when we would print most substrates.

Ohhhh, and we are able to print on a wider array of subtrates as a result and achieve brighter colors than we did with even the new-eco sol inks. We now do wallpaper, car wraps, regular signs, banners, just to name a few.

I have also figured out the cost per ml of ink, seems that the since both were 6 color, the price of ink is approx the same. the difference is that with the HP we have larger cart.

FYI: before it is said, yes we have had color courses, profiling courses, and have even had a repair person, who was a color expert try to help with the colors on the mutoh. So we do know color and now we can say that we can hit about any color we want with the HP.
Just my 2 cents

Tom D

Matt Cuellar

$22k list, but work with a good dealer (like myself) and we'll hook you up. =0)
Honestly, we denied selling the HP 9000 when it was offered to us by HP because we don't want to rep old technology, ESPECIALLY in the outdoor market! That's why the ValueJet has been so awesome, it's honestly undescribeable! You have to see a demo to really appreciate how much more advanced this printer is compared to the competition.

Matt

whoistfd

technology that has been around and has been proven, does not make something bad. New technology brings with it some issues such as, part availability and service techs that are able to work on the machines. I am not a sales person and have really thought all these issues over. My opinion comes from experience in having to deal with real production issues and the inability of mutoh to service the machine in a reasonable manner.

also the 4K rebate that HP offers right now does not hurt :) but I know that others are offering rebates as well. I just liked the HP better and EVERYONE that had either the HP or the Seiko is still in love with them. I have talked with well over 10 people that have them and things are still positive.

Matt Cuellar

Tom,

I agree and disagree at the same time! I'm also and "end-user," who runs a sign shop on the side out of my house. I figured, hey, I'm already selling the equipment, why not buy a piece to make some money! I ended up buying the ValueJet over a few other solvent printers based on my sales experience and my customer feedback on that printer and those with other popular solvent models. The bottom line is you have to do what makes you feel comfortable as a business person as do I. That's the beauty of opinions...everyone's entitled to one!

Matt