• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Which Windows Desktop Computer To Run Flexi?

WildWestDesigns

Thanks for the info. But why would I need the Gigabit network card? I am aware I need an ethernet switch to run everything via LAN, connected to the internet.

Personally I'm against having production rigs connected to the internet. Especially when using a rolling release beta OS like Win 10. But that's just me.

StickerGuy83

Personally I'm against having production rigs connected to the internet. Especially when using a rolling release beta OS like Win 10. But that's just me.

The main reason I would want it connected to the internet would be for the media locator feature. But for the most part, I will be using one ICC for the particular media ill be printing on mostly. I am also not a fan of keeping things connected to the internet for many reasons. Hope this doesn't tank on me.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
StickerGuy83 said:
I guess my $800 budget just went out the window, lol. Where can I find something up to spec with Win 10 Pro on it for a decent price?

I would check out Dell's web site for starters. They are having a President's Day theme sale. So there are plenty of systems they have ready to ship offered for a serious discount. But watch out for systems loaded with Win 10 Home. The Home version of Win 10 has some serious limitations. For instance it won't connect to a network domain with more than 4 or so other computers on it. Check out the various desktop product lines.

Regarding Internet connected work computers, I really like the Adobe Fonts service that comes with Adobe Creative Cloud. But the fonts require an always-on Internet connection to work.

WildWestDesigns

Regarding Internet connected work computers, I really like the Adobe Fonts service that comes with Adobe Creative Cloud. But the fonts require an always-on Internet connection to work.

Considering this isn't being used for design, that shouldn't be an issue. If I recall, the OPs design station is a Mac and while there have been isolated cases of Apple forcing updates (especially with the su(do) vulnerability of the past couple of OSs), they don't tend to do the updates like MS does with it's latest OS.

StickerGuy83

I would check out Dell's web site for starters. They are having a President's Day theme sale. So there are plenty of systems they have ready to ship offered for a serious discount. But watch out for systems loaded with Win 10 Home. The Home version of Win 10 has some serious limitations. For instance it won't connect to a network domain with more than 4 or so other computers on it. Check out the various desktop product lines.

Hows this sound? It's a door buster on Dell's website for presidents day.

Vostro 5000 Desktop
Features a fast 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 Processor, Windows 10 Pro, 8GBs of memory, and a fast and secure 256GB Solid State Drive (SSD). Includes an NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 730 discrete graphics card to handle more demanding graphical applications.

How important is it to have the SSD? I can get similar with 16gb ram and a 1tb non SSD for around the same price. Is it worth buying the SSD with less ram and just upgrade the ram?

________

Also found this one for a good price...

Processor
9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-9400 (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit English
Graphics Card
Intel® UHD Graphics 630 with shared graphics memory
Hard Drive
256GB M.2 Solid State Drive
Memoryi
8GB 1x8GB DDR4 2666MHz

Last edited:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
That configuration is okay for medium duty work. It would probably be fine for someone schleping along with tasks in MS Office. Given the choice, yeah I would trade a SSD for more RAM and a regular magnetic hard disc. If no one was going to do any design work directly on that machine, that it would just be a RIP station, then it might be fine to live with a graphics chip integrated into the motherboard. I am not a fan at all of integrated graphics chips for computers that function as design workstations. Dedicated graphics boards will process 2D and 3D graphics much better. Plus they tend to open more options for multiple monitor use. Some applications work a lot better with multiple monitors (Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro and Audition fall into this category) due to all the different dockers, palettes and other complex user interface stuff.

StickerGuy83

That configuration is okay for medium duty work. It would probably be fine for someone schleping along with tasks in MS Office. Given the choice, yeah I would trade a SSD for more RAM and a regular magnetic hard disc. If no one was going to do any design work directly on that machine, that it would just be a RIP station, then it might be fine to live with a graphics chip integrated into the motherboard. I am not a fan at all of integrated graphics chips for computers that function as design workstations. Dedicated graphics boards will process 2D and 3D graphics much better. Plus they tend to open more options for multiple monitor use. Some applications work a lot better with multiple monitors (Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro and Audition fall into this category) due to all the different dockers, palettes and other complex user interface stuff.

This would solely be used for the RIP only. All design work will be done on a MacBook Pro. I did see one requirement was a Gigabit Ethernet Switch. Does the Ethernet on the desktop have to be Gigabit, or will RJ-45 Ethernet work with the gigabit switch?

greysquirrel

the hp downloads firmware and profiles from hp's server directly to the printer...as your business grows you may print more than just stickers...files get larger and you want the largest funnel between your rip pc and your computer. If you want your pc to have a chance at lasting as long as your printer...buy it once.

WildWestDesigns

If no one was going to do any design work directly on that machine, that it would just be a RIP station, then it might be fine to live with a graphics chip integrated into the motherboard.

The only exception to this would be if one is using that station as a dummy terminal and remoting in to a server/mainframe that is doing the heavy lifting. Not something that is always going to be the case in our instance (maybe in the bigger houses), just one situation that I can think where the type of graphics card may not be as important as all the heavy listing is not done at the local station.

Does the Ethernet on the desktop have to be Gigabit, or will RJ-45 Ethernet work with the gigabit switch?

The main thing here, at least for me, is that you would want a connection that can process the information quickly.

If all this is connected to an outside network (WAN), personally I would have a hardware based firewall and have my network devices going through a switch.

visual800

get you a used Dell XPS thats all I use. they are great machines and do you need windows 10 you might be able to snag a windows 7.
Theres no sense in getting a brand new comp

WildWestDesigns

get you a used Dell XPS thats all I use. they are great machines and do you need windows 10 you might be able to snag a windows 7.
Theres no sense in getting a brand new comp

Well, at some point, Win 7 won't be supported for programs. Won't be able to take advantage of the latest technologies etc. So already going to be behind the 8ball.

I'm no fan of Win 10 (in actually Win 10 is why I switched to a totally different platform) and I do like my legacy systems, but if the OP is really going to want to stay legacy all the way around, it will need to be isolated from the outside. I'm a fan of it anyway in a production environment, but this is yet another reason why it should be.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
Once you go ssd, you’ll never go back. One of our employees built some workhorse computers for about $800. It’s definitely doable, but I’d go with a Costco dell xps setup with SSD as a second option.

AF

Is Win 10 still considered “bloatware” or “crapware”? It’s the one piece of adware you can’t uninstall and still have a functioning winbox.

WildWestDesigns

Is Win 10 still considered “bloatware” or “crapware”?

Win 10, at least from my estimation (take it for what that is worth), is bloated.

Based merely on the fact of all the legacy components in the system (and some on here I know enjoy the legacy components as that means able to run older software longer) and with that legacy blob(s) comes with security implications as well. A lot of bugs/vulnerabilities that are being plugged in Win 10 have existed since the 9x days. That's roughly 20 yrs that some stuff has existed.

Also bloated in the sense that it isn't modular and hasn't been since before Win 98 for a lot of things. If one doesn't use/like the default programs, can use something else, but can't remove the OEM versions because everything is so tightly integrated. And even if you don't use the program in question, it may be used integrated in other functionality. The search functionality really eats up a lot of resources and highly integrated with other components that people would like to remove.

It’s the one piece of adware you can’t uninstall and still have a functioning winbox.

Actually you can if you were to go the Enterprise version. Which all of us can legally, if willing to have their OS on a subscription. Now, of course, can try the illegal channels for the Enterprise version, but Enterprise is going to be your best bet of being able to get rid of the adware.

I had read something a couple of weeks ago I think it was, where they were teasing ads in WordPad. Freakin' Wordpad. I used to use Wordpad (and Notepad) a lot. Simple, low resource text solutions (even if didn't use them for source code, it beat the hell out of firing up Word for simple text document work).

Then of course, one has the continuous issues with the update process. Issues with just this past Tuesday's "Patch Tuesday" update include booting into a temp regular user account and/or boot manager issues depending on what 3rd party boot manager you are using. It's a simple resolution of removing the 2 offending updates if they apply to you, it's just the ever growing list of updates with issues.

Now, if you think of Win 10 as a rolling release OS in a constant state of Beta (as all rolling releases are at best), it makes sense that things like this happen. This just isn't good in a production environment when one has to rely on fixes to come from someone else, if they ever do fix them.

Windows appears to be on the backburner as far as level of importance goes at MS. No internal QC team, flawed Insider Program. While desktop usage is starting to be relegated to mainly power users or those users that are slower to go with the mainstream, I think MS has put it too far down the level of importance. But it's easy for me to say that as I do derive a huge benefit in my workflow with still using traditional desktops (although I have started outfitting my phone with more and more abilities, most are in house programs), it just doesn't beat a desktop and mirroring my phone's display on an external display while helps for when on the road, doesn't make it a total desktop killer either.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Just remember OP is running this as a RIP computer only. Having a video card will not improve RIP speeds at all. Having a processor with 1000 cores will not make RIP speeds go faster. The RIP process is not parallelizable meaning it can not be split up into multiple threads and processes. The two main things that will help speeds is a high clock speed and an SSD for faster disk read and write times. An i7 is overkill and a graphics card would be a waste of money as it would only need to display the RIP interface and windows desktop! If OP was also designing on this rig, that's a different story.

WildWestDesigns

Dell XPS 8900, 1 TB, i7, windows 10 (if you must), you cna get them for under $450 used

I think OP might have to as the product is "currently unavailable" on Dell's website.

This is a line that can possibly also come with Win 10 Home that is a version that one does not want of Win 10, so just be careful if spec'ing this computer. You can get Win 10 Pro with this model, just make sure that it for sure comes with it or be willing to purchase a new license to upgrade it to Pro.

StickerGuy83

I think OP might have to as the product is "currently unavailable" on Dell's website.

This is a line that can possibly also come with Win 10 Home that is a version that one does not want of Win 10, so just be careful if spec'ing this computer. You can get Win 10 Pro with this model, just make sure that it for sure comes with it or be willing to purchase a new license to upgrade it to Pro.

I ended up getting the Dell XPS 8930 Tower with Win10 Pro.