• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White Base Print under Image Area?

Signout

Hi Everyone!
We have the Roland Versa Camm 540i - I know on our CET flatbed we can tell the printer to print a white base under the image area ONLY ( Not a solid white box, or not something I have to set up a vector area to print spot white) So, in other words, if I have a grayscale image, I can tell the printer to print white under the printed areas only.
My question is, Do we have a setting in versa works that can achieve the same process with the Roland? If I have vector art, its no big deal to setup up a spot white area, but when you have a jpeg image that is very complex in shape it is a different animal.

Thanks,

CarNate69

I'm 99% sure roland will not do this. You have to do the manual building of the white underbase, and then set it to print first in versaworks, etc. etc. This is part of the reason we won't run Roland white ink....that and it's poor opacity for most applications.

synergy_jim

I'm 99% sure roland will not do this. You have to do the manual building of the white underbase, and then set it to print first in versaworks, etc. etc. This is part of the reason we won't run Roland white ink....that and it's poor opacity for most applications.

correct.... versa works is weak.. has to have spot color to ready white contours.

CarNate69

The simplest way to achieve this is to auto trace (vectorize) the image then create a small inline that will be assigned with the RDG_WHITE swatch. You may need to quickly go in and move some nodes around but it works pretty good. You can try different settings and detail options depending on which program you're using, then weld all the shapes together to give you just the outline.

Once you become efficient at it you're looking at maybe 5 mins per file to set it up. :thumb:

Until you have a gradient from color to transparent, and it looks terrible when you have a solid block of white behind it.

woolly

I have seen a Roland video of creating a white print channel to be placed under a bit map containing the tone levels.
as it would not work in corel never tried it

jkline

Signout, Happy with your CET?

Are you happy with your CET? We are looking into CET HP or OCE for flatbed printing. Pros/Cons, would love feedback, we are a metal fab sign company that has been outsourcing our printing but want to bring back in house.