• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White ink on hot peel film

JerryLZ

Out of curiosity, I started with cold peel, then used warm peel until finally finding a hot peel film roll. I have never purchased DTF transfers before making my own but to keep this short and simple - I noticed with this hot peel film that if I print a color design then I can rely on the hot peel to actually work. But if I need to print something using only white then the ink still wants to stick to the transfer sheet. Best workaround I have found is to treat it like a cold peel almost and it comes off fine. This is usually edges of letters or any design outline in white where I see this issue. Is this a common thing with pure white?

For what its worth - this is using STS inks hot peel film, STS XPD ink and pressing at 320 on cotton for 15 seconds. Which normally yields great results, just not with alot of white.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
fwiw we’re only using cold peel film. It’s just more consistent and usually peels after just a few seconds on most fabrics. We buy direct from one of the manufacturers and even they diplomatically steer us away from the hot peel unless we really want it. We’re in hawaii so it’s cheaper to ship a pallet straight from China than from CA to us so we tend to go direct.

I am curious about the hot peel films though. Can’t wait until someone makes one that really hot peels on everything.

We’re on a mimaki system and just ordered a second one.

JerryLZ

fwiw we’re only using cold peel film. It’s just more consistent and usually peels after just a few seconds on most fabrics. We buy direct from one of the manufacturers and even they diplomatically steer us away from the hot peel unless we really want it. We’re in hawaii so it’s cheaper to ship a pallet straight from China than from CA to us so we tend to go direct.

I am curious about the hot peel films though. Can’t wait until someone makes one that really hot peels on everything.

We’re on a mimaki system and just ordered a second one.
Going into it I kind of expected it to work how screen printed transfers work where you need to peel it while its blistering hot or it doesn't work at all. And with the exception of having white on the edges like I said, the hot peel works pretty good in that realm. Anything to help it from being taken off of the press so I don't have to reload it for the second press or waiting to cool it down is what was important to me. I just thought it was a little weird that something with the white ink makes it want to hold on for some reason.

I'm not too thrilled of the idea of going back to cold peel but if the actual manufacturer is recommending it then its something worth considering. What brand cold peel have you been using?