• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White Lettering: 3M IJ170C Question

truckgraphics

I have to letter a box truck next week.

The vinyl will be all white and there are some white logos. Most of the lettering/logos are wide so there should be a lot of surface area for adherence.

The box has rivets so I want to use a conformable cast material.

I'd also like to use a vinyl that is sticky and easy to weed, The best I've found for this is Orafol 751RA, but it's back ordered from all my suppliers and pretty darn expensive.

I have a roll of Arlon SLX+, but it doesn't have the most aggressive adhesive and it's not easy to weed. I'll probably wind up using it anyway since I can let the truck sit and cure for a few days....

However, I see that 3M has a product called IJ170C, which is said to be like 180C, but without the Comply feature, so initial tack should be (?) stronger. And maybe it's stickier too. I've never used it so I don't know.

Has anyone used IJ170C for lettering.

Is it sticky?

Can I use the rest of the roll to wrap a commercial vehicle.

I appreciate any information.,

Thank you.

jfiscus

Rap Master
I would just get a roll of 3M 7125 for this. Rivets aren't much of an issue without air release vinyl, just squeegee and post heat them after you pull the app tape.

You wont want to wrap a vehicle using vinyl without comply (air release).

truckgraphics

My mistake. 170 has Comply air release, but doesn't have Controltac, pressure activated adhesive.

Lettering with air release is a must for us when the lettering and logos are wide, because wide vinyl traps air.

3M 7125, to my knowledge, doesn't have air release and is (much) more expensive than 170C. But the weeding properties and adhesion of 170 are unknown to me.

Last edited: