• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White print vinyl for labels

timstudio

For a client I print thousands of labels (2 x 6 cm) on a weekly base. I used oracal 3164 because it is more white than oracal 3651. The 3651 is color off with the cans that are labeled.
Recently my clients reports shrinking of the labels leaving an edge of residu. Within 1 month after being labeled. This only seems to be recently and this combo (client/3164/cans) had a happily marriage for years. Nothing on her or my side has changed. Labeled cans are stored in a dark conditioned room (beauty products) so exposure to extreme sunlight/heat etc is not in question.

I do not know why this suddenly happens. Mayby oracal changed something, but anyway, shrinking within days/ 2 weeks after application is unaccaptably so I need an alternative.
I have rolls and rolls of 3651 in stock but as mentioned, the color is just not as white as the 3164.

Does anybody know of an alternative vinyl which does not shrink, is affordable (can labeling) and is as white as is gets?

IsItFasst

I know the 3164 will shrink after months or even years of sun exposure but within days or weeks has me concerned as this is my go to vinyl for cheap decals. No customers complaints from customers on my end yet so wondering if you got a bad or old roll. Is the art the same as before? Sometimes printing dark ink to the edge will cause different results compared no ink or lighter inks along the edge. Or maybe the labels are being installed on hot cans now? Curiousity has me on this one.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
My smart customers who use the inexpensive Monomeric vinyls will print graphics a month ahead of installation.
They have done entire room walls like this and get no shrinkage after install.
If you print and cut right away and let sit, you will see the shrinkage occur because the backing paper doesn’t shrink.
Bruce
Bruce@melloimaging.com

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Exactly what Bruce said. Your 3164 has ALWAYS been shrinking. Maybe you’ve just been lucky enough that your customers have taken a while to put them on and they’ve already done the majority of their shrinking.

karst41

Us 3m digital print media.
Pending the environment the IJ 35c, IJ39 will hold up decently.

If you need long term NO BS the use Ij180cv3, IJ 180 LSE, or IJ3650
If you need long term 10 years then laminate with 8518 Luster lam.
Available in Gloss or matte.

IJ 39 is for Plastics, Glass etc as is the LSE or 3650
IJ 39 is $240 (matte only)
180LSE and 3650 are closing in on $900 a roll

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Us 3m digital print media.
Pending the environment the IJ 35c, IJ39 will hold up decently.

If you need long term NO BS the use Ij180cv3, IJ 180 LSE, or IJ3650
If you need long term 10 years then laminate with 8518 Luster lam.
Available in Gloss or matte.

IJ 39 is for Plastics, Glass etc as is the LSE or 3650
IJ 39 is $240 (matte only)
180LSE and 3650 are closing in on $900 a roll

yeah this guy is not going to pay anywhere near those prices. The 3164 theyre using is about as cheap as you can get from orafol.

Danielsdzyn

Good evening,
I used 3164 for Labels. I didn't like the smell that it put off when I printed to it so I found HP prime which I ordered from Lexjet. It's about $10 more and it's a good bright white. Not sure how it compares to 3164 by way of brightness as I ran out of that but, I haven't had any complaints from my customer since I've made the switch. It's been about a month and now. I'll let you know if I get any negative feedback.