• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White translucent???

Does it really make a differance??? I'm lettering some old discolored pannels. So I don't want to let the pannel shine thru.

The entire pannel is going to be blocked out in black with white lettering...

Can I just use a cast white?? instead of white translucent?

Letterbox Mike

Is the white going to light at night? If so, yes, you must use translucent white. Do not use regular white, it'll look terrible.

Letterbox Mike

I'd either go with black blockout or translucent black. There are people that will say you can use regular opaque black but I disagree. Translucent vinyls transmit and disperse light differently than opaque vinyl. Opaque vinyl isn't 100% opaque, so some light may show through, but it'll be mottled looking. In my experience, opaque black vinyls can also take on a brown or purple tint when backlit. While it's usually faint and not always noticeable, I still believe you're better off doing it the right way and using appropriate translucent or light control films on a backlit sign.

That said, if it's a cheap-o sign or customer and perfection isn't near the top of the list, go with regular cast black if you have it around.

Shovelhead

HSBC Bank's signage has white tranny around the main letters and it's very obvious when compared to acrylic/polycarbonate.