• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who has printed on 3M #8518 Gloss Laminate?

Lindsey

Not A New Member
I need a cast clear digital film with permanent adhesive for a 1-off 9" x 12" aluminum sign, and the only clear film I have on-hand is calendered Orajet 3651. I don't really want to order in a cast clear just for this small 1-off job. A colleague told me he prints on the 3M gloss laminate #8518 often. Anyone here printed on the 8518 clear gloss laminate before? I'm using Roland Eco-Sol Max inks.

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
I need a cast clear digital film with permanent adhesive for a 1-off 9" x 12" aluminum sign, and the only clear film I have on-hand is calendered Orajet 3651. I don't really want to order in a cast clear just for this small 1-off job. A colleague told me he prints on the 3M gloss laminate #8518 often. Anyone here printed on the 8518 clear gloss laminate before? I'm using Roland Eco-Sol Max inks.
I use UV inks for any unexpected substrate just to avoid working through ink compatibilities and all that. I have that option handy though, if you don't you'll have to use what you've got.
In my experience, eco and standard solvent inks stick to it just fine.
I laminate right on top of it - you have to be careful since it's far stretchier than printables. Don't overtension and go slow. There WILL be bubbles so print a gang.
I use the laminator to apply that to rolls or sheets or wet app if I can't. As others have mentioned, it's almost evil to apply haha so just use your most reliable method.

Patentagosse

OK, keep it simple here... we're talking 'bout a licence plate size sign here, not a 4'x 8' DiBond... yes you can print with your Roland no problem, print as any regular cast, laminate the print with another layer of 8518 using RapidTac and then laminate this to the aluminum using RapidTac again. Dries in minutes, simplifies the application, will not have to deal with bubbles, will make it "wet look" instantly.

I like to print on a matte lam if doing clear stuff, then use a gloss laminate to make it glossy again. I find printing on the matte finish makes a nicer print and doesn't have a lot of ink "pooling"

Lindsey

Not A New Member
I like to print on a matte lam if doing clear stuff, then use a gloss laminate to make it glossy again. I find printing on the matte finish makes a nicer print and doesn't have a lot of ink "pooling"
Thank you. That's a good idea. I have the cast matte 8520 on-hand, so I will try it.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
can I print on laminate with my hp115 and apply them to like squeeze ketchup bottles and would it work and hold up?
I guess that would depend on how long the decal needs to stay on the bottle. For a long term bond, I'd a consider a film with a special adhesive for Low Surface Energy (LSE) plastics.

Craig Keller

I guess that would depend on how long the decal needs to stay on the bottle. For a long term bond, I'd a consider a film with a special adhesive for Low Surface Energy (LSE) plastics.
Lindsey,
Can u suggest a product and model number please. The bottles will take 160f heat.

Thanks!

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Lindsey,
Can u suggest a product and model number please. The bottles will take 160f heat.

Thanks!

IJ180mcC-10LSE is good for Low Surface Energy plastics.

But be sure to find out exactly what type of plastic the bottles are made from. It's possible it could be a High Surface Energy plastic.

Craig Keller

IJ180mcC-10LSE is good for Low Surface Energy plastics.

But be sure to find out exactly what type of plastic the bottles are made from. It's possible it could be a High Surface Energy plastic.

plastic hdpe

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Why don't you print on the 3651 and laminate that?
Mostly because it's not a true cast. And even though Orafol says it has a permanent adhesive, it removes very easily.

I use the 3651 often for interior signs. One client has us strip and reapply new prints annually. It comes off so smooth & clean that I just don't feel like the adhesive on it is going to have enough oomph for my tiny 9x12 to last a long time outside. Where I am in Canada, and we experience temperatures ranging from -25C to 40C (-13F to 104F). If it's going to be outside for any length of time, it's got to be cast or the graphic will shrink