• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who makes thin chrome Mylar?

unclebun

Just changed the name on a boat and the previous name used a shadow cut from really thin chrome material that feels like Mylar--not stretchable at all. Feels thinner than cast vinyl. That stuff should be banned. It was deteriorated from the sun and was impossible to remove by the normal methods. Had to use a 3M vinyl eraser on it, which we never have to use for name removals. I've never seen a sign material like this. It's not a laminated material like normal chrome is. Anyone else ever seen or used it?

rjssigns

Just changed the name on a boat and the previous name used a shadow cut from really thin chrome material that feels like Mylar--not stretchable at all. Feels thinner than cast vinyl. That stuff should be banned. It was deteriorated from the sun and was impossible to remove by the normal methods. Had to use a 3M vinyl eraser on it, which we never have to use for name removals. I've never seen a sign material like this. It's not a laminated material like normal chrome is. Anyone else ever seen or used it?
Check into Real Gold's "chrome". It is real nickel. Other than that I have an idea of what was on the boat but can't recall the manufacturer or if it's even available.

Super thin films for sponsor decals are used on F1 cars so as not to upset the aerodynamics. Those films are about half the thickness of the cellophane on a pack of cigarettes.
Sourcing them could be an issue though.

McDonald Signs

McDonald Signs & Graphics
Oracal 651 chrome? It's pretty thin and very difficult to remove if left to bake on a sign or vehicle for a few years.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
There are a lot of specialized products, many no longer available in our "eco friendly" world, so what it originally was may always be a mystery. One alternative that should be available through suppliers is Avery's SF100-846-S, it's a chrome metalized 1mil polyester film designed for this type of use. Here's a link to the spec sheet:

unclebun

There are a lot of specialized products, many no longer available in our "eco friendly" world, so what it originally was may always be a mystery. One alternative that should be available through suppliers is Avery's SF100-846-S, it's a chrome metalized 1mil polyester film designed for this type of use. Here's a link to the spec sheet:
That may have been the product. If you're ever doing a job like this, do everyone a favor and don't use this thin stuff. Pain in a butt to get rid of.

petepaz

fellers has a thin polyester mirror/chrome material, i think it's called polymet ?
avery also makes a metalized polyester material as well, 2 mil i believe.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
That may have been the product. If you're ever doing a job like this, do everyone a favor and don't use this thin stuff. Pain in a butt to get rid of.
I use metalized films to make compliance certification decals that go on roll cages for a heavy equipment mfgr. If it's anything like the stuff I use, I can see why someone would use them on a boat, they're permanent, water, chemical, and salt resistant, but... If they ever had to try to get them off, they'd find something else real quick.