• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Who Prints Color/White/Color onto Translucent White Vinyl?

The SignChef

We have an ongoing need for translucent vinyl printed with 3 layers of ink - color / white / color.

We are searching for a trade printer who will print, laminate & drop ship to our clients.

Ideally, the printer would be able to print up to 60" wide translucent vinyl.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
~ Tim

The SignChef

Thank you for the consultation Bill - quite helpful.

Are there roll-to-roll printers that can print color/white/color on clear vinyl using Latex or other types of ink?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Not sure about re-rolling but If I recall correctly to get all that cured they’re running 3 layer at about 2msq/hour.

Fair enough it’s great to have the option but that’s way too slow for someone that does that work regularly.

Oh snap I did not see where it can do multiple layers. I'm assuming that's all within the initial pass of the printheads, not rerolling the material, am I right?

There is no retraction of the media when printing single or multiple ink layers (2 or 3), the media always advances in 1 direction only.

Three layer printing is slow, but with the completely automated maintenance of these devices, they can easily be run unattended overnight or as needed, to produce greater output volume of 3-layer output. For those who need still more multi-layer speed, the HP R+ Series could accommodate that.

Last edited:

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Not sure about re-rolling but If I recall correctly to get all that cured they’re running 3 layer at about 2msq/hour.

Fair enough it’s great to have the option but that’s way too slow for someone that does that work regularly.

We do work like this every couple days on our UV Printer. A HELL of a lot faster than 2 sq meters/Hr.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but what is the use of this? translucent vinyl is for sign boxes and/or internally illuminated signs, yes? so why would you want that vinyl printed on both sides? or am i missing something?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Its actually not printed on both sides but rather on clear SAV. Its printed in line, one side in 3 layers. The first image is technically your "density print". The next layer of white is your translucent/diffuser layer and the top layer is your color correct layer. Instead of a double hit that just lays the image 2x in line, the Day-Night backlit gives you a color correct image during daylight hours when the sign faces are unlit and the needed density for nighttime lit look. And also depends on whether placing on white translucent acrylic/polycarb...etc vs clear plastic. For newer or LED retrofitted faces, we would do the day night on a translucent White backlit substrate so the LED's dont blow out even that print.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Its actually not printed on both sides but rather on clear SAV. Its printed in line, one side in 3 layers. The first image is technically your "density print". The next layer of white is your translucent/diffuser layer and the top layer is your color correct layer. Instead of a double hit that just lays the image 2x in line, the Day-Night backlit gives you a color correct image during daylight hours when the sign faces are unlit and the needed density for nighttime lit look. And also depends on whether placing on white translucent acrylic/polycarb...etc vs clear plastic. For newer or LED retrofitted faces, we would do the day night on a translucent White backlit substrate so the LED's dont blow out even that print.
okay. that makes total sense now. thank you. i'm thinking they're printing on like a white or colored translucent and i was totally lost. i prefer not to print box signs because it always seems so washed out, so i was a little out of my depth on this one. <3 thanks.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
The uv ink with the day night is really nice. Just did a pair of faces for someone and they look really nice after being laminated.... Cant wait to see some pics installed.