• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wholesale Decals

Salmoneye

Are there not companies that pay for licensing all of these types of decals and sell them wholesale? My neighbor sells small signs at the flea market with all of the NFL teams and different logos. She buys them all from one major supplier that licenses them all. There has to be someone doing this with decals as well. Before you start clubbing me around let me reiterate that I am only condoning the legal re-sale of decals.

Circleville Signs

Even if the company you are buying them from has a license to sell them, that license does not transfer on TO YOU. YOU don't have the right to profit from those images - because you do not have a license.

Gary

Salmoneye

The company that I am talking about produces these signs under license and only wholesales them to other stores that retail them. I thought there might be something similar with decals. I know that when folks have come through the flea market shutting people down etc... she has never had a problem.
This is an interesting thread. So if I buy an image with a license that allows me to print that image on a T-shirt intended for resale and I sell a dozen of these items each to three local stores that wants to sell them, they are violating the law? Even though each shirt was produced legally?

Circleville Signs

Depends on the agency who owns the copyright.

For example - the NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA are HARD CORE. If someone is making a profit from selling their images, then you damn well want their piece of those profits.

Other licensors - who knows. You've got to research it and ask all the right questions.

Gary

p7050

Circleville Signs Why are you calling me an idiot I am not talking about vinyl graphics I am talking about racing decals made by major companies. I even have paperwork from a couple of them to resell them.

Circleville Signs

I called you an idiot because your post made you appear as such.

You said "I sell decals like he does on my website".

If you looked at this website, and then made this statement, followed by your other statements, then you are an idiot.

It would be akin to me saying "I play basketball like an NBA player. The only difference is I'm slow, fat, short, and can't jump or shoot."

Gary

Rooster

I called you an idiot because your post made you appear as such.

You said "I sell decals like he does on my website".

Unless the original post had been edited by the time I read it, I thought he made it quite clear he was selling licensed versions.

No need for calling someone an idiot, especially if it's because you can't comprehend what they wrote.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It would be akin to me saying "I play basketball like an NBA player. The only difference is I'm slow, fat, short, and can't jump or shoot."

Gary

So what you are saying is that you play b-ball like a member of the 09 New Jersey Nets? (5-48)

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

G-Artist

Even if the company you are buying them from has a license to sell them, that license does not transfer on TO YOU. YOU don't have the right to profit from those images - because you do not have a license.

Circleville Signs = WRONG!!!

There is no transfer of license involved.

It is a pure matter of how the marketplace operates.

Once the licensee sells the licensed product and it enters the stream of commerce neither the licensor nor the original licensee has any more control over the product. That can be much to the chargrin of all parties but that's life and business.

Circleville Signs

G-artist,

You are, quite simply, terribly wrong. This is similar to the situation a few years back where some old lady was purchasing NFL team t-shirts and then stuffing them, sewing up the arms, neck, and bottom and selling them as pillows. The NFL shut it down FAST.

I'm not going to spend an hour typing out the licensing laws that you are incorrect about - just know this - you are incorrect. You are more than welcome to persist in your incorrectness, but you are incorrect.

p7050,

Umm....Yeah. Something like that.

rcook99

Here is the License for Corel X-3's use of there Clipart. I would guess that most major companies have a similar License for there products. I am not looking to join the argument but had this handy and thought I would post it.

2. COREL GUIDELINES FOR THE USE OF CLIPART, STOCK PHOTO IMAGES AND SAMPLE CONTENT:
Corel products may contain numerous clipart, photo images and sample content such as forms, templates, Paint Shop Pro “tubes” or similar items (collectively referred to as the "Images") which are either owned by Corel or licensed from a third-party. As a user of Corel products you are free to Use, modify and publish the Images as you wish subject to the restrictions set out below. If you are uncertain as to whether your intended Use is in compliance with the Guidelines set out below, Corel recommends that you seek the advice of your own attorney or legal counsel. Corel will not provide you with an opinion as to whether your Use is in compliance with these Guidelines.

2.1 YOU MAY, subject to any restrictions set out in Sections 2.2 and 2.3 below:
(i) incorporate any Image(s) into your own original work and publish, display and distribute your work in any media, provided you include a copyright notice in your work reflecting on the copyright ownership of both you and Corel as follows:
"Copyright (c) 200__ [your name] and its licensors. All rights reserved."; and
(ii) make one (1) copy of the Image(s) for backup or archival purposes.

2.2 YOU MAY NOT:
(i) resell, sublicense or otherwise make available the Image(s) for Use or distribution separately or detached from a product or web page. For example, the Image(s) may be Used as part of a web page design, but not be made available for downloading separately or in a format designed or intended for permanent storage or re-use by others;
(ii) provide the Image(s) to third parties or permit the Use of the Image(s) by third parties separately or as part of any other product, however, third parties may be provided with copies of the Image(s) (including digital files) as part of a work product;

(iii) create scandalous, obscene, defamatory or immoral works using the Image(s) nor Use the Image(s) for any other purpose which is prohibited by law;
(iv) Use or permit the Use of the Image(s) or any part thereof as a trademark or service mark, or claim any proprietary rights of any sort in the Image(s) or any part thereof;
(v) Use any of the Images which contain identifiable individuals or entities for any commercial purpose including, without limitation, in a manner which suggests their association with or endorsement of any product or service;
(vi) Use the Image(s) in electronic format, on-line or in multimedia applications unless the Image(s) are incorporated for viewing purposes only and no permission is given to download and/or save the Image(s) for any reason;
(vii) rent, lease, sublicense or lend the Image(s), or a copy thereof, to another person or legal entity. You may, however, transfer all your license to Use the Image(s) to another person or legal entity, provided that (i) you transfer the Product, including the Image(s), and this License, including all copies (except copies incorporated into your work product as permitted under this License), to such person or entity, (ii) that you retain no copies, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device, and (iii) the receiving party agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions of this License; or
(viii) Use any Image(s) except as expressly permitted by this License.

G-Artist

How many NFL licenses have you had or negotiated over the years Circleville?

I've had two. One for books and the other for medallions.

I think I have a grasp of how the system works.

I stand by what I said. I am sure my lawyers stand with me as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, another thread goes down in flames. There's hardly anything worth reading anymore and now you boys and girls will make sure this gets locked down with your bellyaching. :covereyes: