• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whos makes the best Laptops??

geedub

It was really pre-athlon 64 days. Athlon 64 was the paving ground for the PC being faster than the mac. Now mac doesn't even offer a core 2 duo processor faster than 2.33 ghz, whereas you can build a system w/ an intel core 2 duo xtreme, or even the quad core xtreme, for the same price as a high end mac.

djenurm

Mac's don't offer the latest technology in computers either, so if you want a "graphic design" laptop and you want the most power available, a mac isn't going to give it to you.

Absolutely wrong... The core 2 duo processor is the fastest consumer desktop processor out now and thats what the macs have. If that isn't enough Just have a look at apples web site and see the processors they put in their pro desktops. Apples machines are editors choice now more than any other brand. See PC Magazine or CNet. In the annual readers survey they score well above everyone else in every category.

PC Magazine: "With its vast features and a Core 2 Duo upgrade, the MacBook Pro 15-inch easily sits among the elite. Fastest Core 2 Duo processor available. Terrific performance scores. Best-looking laptop on the market. Now has a FireWire 800 port and can burn dual-layer DVDs."

djenurm

Now mac doesn't even offer a core 2 duo processor faster than 2.33 ghz, whereas you can build a system w/ an intel core 2 duo xtreme, or even the quad core xtreme, for the same price as a high end mac.

We are talking about laptops here, The top of the line Dell XPS also has a 2.33ghz core2 duo as its top choice.

I have built my own PC's since the mid 90's as well as part of my job. It is cheap and fun to do, however you just can not build your own machine using all the universal fit components you are talking about that comes anywhere near the quality of what Apple produces. This is not just my opinion have a look at any of the big name review sites to see the same. The original post asked who makes the best, they never said the cheapest. Havent you heard "Good, Cheap, Fast. Pick only 2"

geedub

mac does offer the core 2 duo's, and yes they offer the fastest in their laptops, they do NOT offer an extreme edition in any of their desktops. They do offer two dual core xeon's, but the new intel quad core should be faster, mac has yet to offer an extreme edition processor, and the quad core's that have been released so far are just that. Mac doesn't even offer a core2duo faster than a 2.33, and the e6600 is only a 318 dollar chip @ 2.4, with overclocking on stock cooling able to hit 3ghz no problem.

Anthony

the best is one i got....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
SONY VAIO ....its 1.3 gig with a 40 gig h/d 1meg ram...
i got it for $600. does all i need. i had a an IBM THINKPAD......celeron....worst thing i ever owned....daytime you couldnt see the screen.

Those days are long gone. The old monitors were crap.

I owned a data collection company for over 10 years and had 20 employees. They all had a laptop and were used strictly outdoors walking around. Needless to say they took a beating with all the bouncing around, bad weather, dropping etc.

I can't tell you which one can handle running memory hogs like Corel and Adobe but I can suggest quality and toughness.

in order of best to worst

1. Panasonic (Big Bucks) 3 year warranty
owned 3 Toughbook cf 25's I would on ocasion throw it on the ground just to show someone how tough it was. I used them in the pouring rain for over an hour (until it shut off) I laid it on the floor in my car cranked up the heat until it was dry, turned it back on and went back to work.

2. IBM (3 year warranty)
Tough machine great warranty

3. Sony (only 1 year warranty)
Good machine (unless they have changed you better register it as soon as you get it. The 4th or 5th one I bought I had a minor problem with I called for repair and was told since I didn't register it within 30 days my warranty was void)

Sorry guys never owned a Mac my software didn't support it.

As far as the rest of the machines go Toshiba were always breaking hinges and keyboards. If I had to buy a cheap computer on the spot I would pickup a HP maybe get a year out of it then off it on eBay.

Remember this is only my opinion based on 10 years of trying to find the perfect combination of quality & price.

geedub

Yeah, well, you go play around with 'overclocking' and have a day,eh! :) LOL! Hmmm, and all that for eBay and MySpace! :)

it's a wonder anyone even understands you when you speak like that. Sorry I'm not from Canada, would you translate that to an understandable form of English please?