• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why are my blacks printing brown??

mjohnsonsa

I have an HP Latex 315 with Flexi 19 RIP. Problem is Black looks brown. I am running my test prints at 14-Pass, 130 saturation on 4-mil laminate vinyl. Here is what I have done. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated as I have wasted lots of time on the issue:

1. Black looks great on the test plot created by the "color correction" print utility.
2. Black looks great when running the "test print" on the Output Profile

^^^ Those above test tell me it is not something with the ink, printheads, media, etc. So must be software/RIP/profile problem?

3. I created a black box in illustrator, output it as RGB, then CYMK, then with default black, then with 60/40/40/100 rich black. All these variations still printed brown.
4. I did all the same as above but in FlexiPrint thinking it could be an illustrator issue (in illustrator I tried outputting with ICC profile and without ICC profile). All from Flexi still were brown.
5. I created a custom ICC profile from scratch and the black looked really good on the test plot when doing a test print from the profile creation screen but not from printing files.
6. I tried various input profiles (GRACO.., SWOP v2.0, etc.) but still brown

I did end up finding a work around but I don't like it and it does not figure out the real problem. I can go into the print job and go to the 'Color Management' tab and select "No Color Correction" and then my blacks look great when printing the same files that looked brown when printing with color correction enabled.

So the problem appears to be related to the Output Profile right? since selecting no output profile fixed the issue? what doesn't make sense though is why the test plot blacks look good on that same output profile when going in and printing a test plot but bad when using that same output profile in a print job.

TIA

balstestrat

Problem Solver
No, their is an output profile wizard on the machine.
So that means you didn't create an ICC because your machine does't have a spectro.

Try some of the existing ones or download some similar profile. I would advice against creating printmodes without a spectro because you will then lack the proper ICC.

mjohnsonsa

So that means you didn't create an ICC because your machine does't have a spectro.

Try some of the existing ones or download some similar profile. I would advice against creating printmodes without a spectro because you will then lack the proper ICC.
When you create a new profile it has you select a similar existing profile. It then creates an .ICC file. What confuses me is when I select to print a test from that profile it looks good, but when I use the profile in the RIP it looks bad. Wouldn't it be using the same ICC file in both scenarios?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
When you create a new profile it has you select a similar existing profile. It then creates an .ICC file. What confuses me is when I select to print a test from that profile it looks good, but when I use the profile in the RIP it looks bad. Wouldn't it be using the same ICC file in both scenarios?
Yeah but also when you select that "similar" ICC from existing profile, it's all wrong for your new printmode. And this is your root cause to the brown blacks.

What test are you talking about to be specific? There's quite a few different tests and images one could be talking about. Some which use the ICC and some don't.

mjohnsonsa

Yeah but also when you select that "similar" ICC from existing profile, it's all wrong for your new printmode. And this is your root cause to the brown blacks.

What test are you talking about to be specific? There's quite a few different tests and images one could be talking about. Some which use the ICC and some don't.
When you either create or edit an output profile there is a button that says 'Test Print'. It will then create a test pattern/plot. It is on the same screen in the output profile where you set other options like saturation, heat, vacuum, etc.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
When you either create or edit an output profile there is a button that says 'Test Print'. It will then create a test pattern/plot. It is on the same screen in the output profile where you set other options like saturation, heat, vacuum, etc.
You mean this saturation test? It's purpose is to just spit out as much ink as possible, it has nothing to do with the ICC or color correction. You check it visually and set the max ink based on that.
Again with the right ICC you will get better colours. Now you just have the wrong ICC in use.

1662801926191.png

mjohnsonsa

You mean this saturation test? It's purpose is to just spit out as much ink as possible, it has nothing to do with the ICC or color correction. You check it visually and set the max ink based on that.
Again with the right ICC you will get better colours. Now you just have the wrong ICC in use.

View attachment 161453
Yep that is one of them. The other test plot that looks good is the one that is printed and scanned when I run a 'Color Calibration' routine. You would think both of those are using the selected profiles ICC that you are running the tests from right?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Yep that is one of them. The other test plot that looks good is the one that is printed and scanned when I run a 'Color Calibration' routine. You would think both of those are using the selected profiles ICC that you are running the tests from right?
No no no. All this is Before the ICC. It's the very last step to correct colours but only after you have tuned everything else correctly.

That color calibration chart also is for the machine and provides to you very little visual information. Mostly you can see that your printer is doing fine and you have no printhead problems.

If you were doing this on the L365 that has the spectro, you literally can not push to button to make an ICC before you have done everything else. It is the last step of the process.

Last edited:
I have an HP Latex 315 with Flexi 19 RIP. Problem is Black looks brown. I am running my test prints at 14-Pass, 130 saturation on 4-mil laminate vinyl. Here is what I have done. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated as I have wasted lots of time on the issue:
What type of media are you printing onto? Is it a white opaque vinyl, or is it a clear vinyl film?