• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why do I have to use the Equal Housing logo?

Pat Whatley

Just curious but why do people insist on having the Equal Housing Opportunity or Equal Housing Lender logo put on signs? Don't all lenders and realtors have to follow those laws?

Bigdawg

Just Me
Section 804 of the federal fair housing law states it is against the law to”… make, print, publish, or cause to be made, printed, or published any notice, statement, or advertisement, with respect to the sale rental of a dwelling that indicates any preference, limitation or discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin, or any intention to make any such preference limitation or discrimination.”

In addition to the above disclaimer, all advertising for housing, including lending, should contain the Equal Housing Opportunity slogan or logo according to HUD regulations. The federal regulations suggest that logo size be based on the ad size. At all times it must be clear and legible and at least equal in size to other logos appearing in the ad (For example: 1/8 page up to 1⁄2 page ads should contain a 1” by 1” logo).

HUD requires it.

J Hill Designs

I know certain state-sanctioned realtors / section 8 / etc in my state need it to be 5% of total signable area...now that really messes up a layout...when 5% is the EHO and 5% is handicap accessible..

Pat Whatley

What the heck? An 1/8th page ad needs a 1"x1" logo? Some government engineer wrote that.

all advertising for housing, including lending, should contain the Equal Housing Opportunity slogan
SHOULD doesn't mean MUST, does it? I mean I SHOULD get off Signs101 and get to work but it's not something I MUST do.

Bigdawg

Just Me
My family had a real estate magazine for years. I can't dig out the law for you... but I will tell you that the penalties for NOT using the logo are pretty severe. Most realty and realty-related businesses do not want to take the chance.

Not sure I ever used a 1" x 1" on an 1/8 page ad though...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
its a conspiracy pat, yet another example of Obama making you think you have control, when really you don't...