• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why doesn't the GS6000 allow feeding backwards?

jfiscus

Rap Master
When you are loading material into the GS6000, you can only feed the material "forwards" (as it is a rear loading machine). When you are printing double-sided banners or small pieces,it becomes a hassle when the machine does not allow you to feed the material backwards a bit with the rollers... is there a way to make it feed in the opposite direction also???

Case

it can feed backwards, but you have to disable the takeup reel in the printer setup menu options... even if you aren't using the takeup, the machine must be told that the take up reel is disabled...

that being said, feeding backwards doesn't set a new origin point, you would still have to lift up the pinchwheels and drop them back down(basically redoing the media reading initialation process) after feeding backwards to set new origin point on that machine i believe...

case

Donny7833

Ditto on what Case said.

You could try backing it up and then holding down the pause button to reset the machine, not sure if that will reset the origin, but worth a try.

jfiscus

Rap Master
it can feed backwards, but you have to disable the takeup reel in the printer setup menu options... even if you aren't using the takeup, the machine must be told that the take up reel is disabled...

that being said, feeding backwards doesn't set a new origin point, you would still have to lift up the pinchwheels and drop them back down(basically redoing the media reading initialation process) after feeding backwards to set new origin point on that machine i believe...

case

:( I don't want to have to go in and disable the take-up reel to have it feed backwards when nothing's on the reel, then re-able it when I'm ready to print; why did no one at Epson ever think of this...

I also understand what you're talking about not being able to set that new location as a origin point. Printing double-sided banners yesterday was a PAIN! Once you think the material is finally where it needs to be - it feeds a bit back out & viola - you have to guess again.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Wow - this is quite a shortcoming on these! That would be incredibly irritating. We run a lot of 2 sided banners and pretty much jog the material back and forth to get the original just right a lot. What a poor idea to restrict reverse.

Letterbox Mike

Wow - this is quite a shortcoming on these! That would be incredibly irritating. We run a lot of 2 sided banners and pretty much jog the material back and forth to get the original just right a lot. What a poor idea to restrict reverse.

The GS6000 prints great but I'm fairly certain it was engineered by someone who has literally never used or seen a wide format printer...

GoodPeopleFlags

When I print d/s banners, I load the material and then mark on the heater with a grease pencil the edge of the material. When I push the button, it rolls out 1.25". I'll mark that edge, too. After it prints that side, don't cut it off the roll. Just release the takeup reel, raise the pinchers and roll it back up on the roll. It wouldn't matter if you could feed it backwards because you still have to take the material off and flip the roll over to print the other side. I like to let the material sit for an hour or so before printing the other side. Then load it back up and make sure the edges are on the marks I made the first time. Then hit the button and it rolls out the 1.25" again. The material should be on the second set of marks you made.

Another thing I've noticed it that when I tell ColorBurst to center the media, it's actually off by about 3/8" or so. I've learned that if I tell it to scoot over 2", it scoots 2.375". So, when I flip it over, I measure how far from the edge the print starts. Then I'll then tell it to scoot over 3/8" *less* than where I want it to start. Hope that helps.

I can't see where a "feed backward" option would help.

Graphics2u

When I print d/s banners, I load the material and then mark on the heater with a grease pencil the edge of the material. When I push the button, it rolls out 1.25". I'll mark that edge, too. After it prints that side, don't cut it off the roll. Just release the takeup reel, raise the pinchers and roll it back up on the roll. It wouldn't matter if you could feed it backwards because you still have to take the material off and flip the roll over to print the other side. I like to let the material sit for an hour or so before printing the other side. Then load it back up and make sure the edges are on the marks I made the first time. Then hit the button and it rolls out the 1.25" again. The material should be on the second set of marks you made.

Another thing I've noticed it that when I tell ColorBurst to center the media, it's actually off by about 3/8" or so. I've learned that if I tell it to scoot over 2", it scoots 2.375". So, when I flip it over, I measure how far from the edge the print starts. Then I'll then tell it to scoot over 3/8" *less* than where I want it to start. Hope that helps.

That's pretty much exactly how I print D\S Banners also. Now I'm using a Mutoh 1614 but it is a very similar machine to the GS6000 (built by Mutoh). However I will say that the 1614 will allow me to run in reverse in the take-up mode. One thing I do is turn my Temps way down on the second side otherwise I tend to get alot of buckling of the banner material. I always assumed this was from the solvents already on the first side. Maybe letting it sit for an hour or so is the trick.

Anyway, just pick a location on the printer either leading edge of platen or a seam in the covers and mark your banner there. (like the attached pic) When you flip it over, just line that mark up with the same location on the printer. Then it doesn't matter how far it feeds the material before printing, because it's doing the same thing on both sides.

Attachments

• bannermark.jpg
    bannermark.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 76

jfiscus

Rap Master

It's that "non-centering" that was giving me trouble, I'll try the offsetting option next time. I've been aligning it right(left?) and marking the roll location on the printer also, but then you have to remove the media and feed it from the other end (which doesn't have the marks) to get it right aligned again.

I appreciate the tips!

Happyprinter

We do it exactly the way bluefish does his d/s banners. So far we have had great success and the most it will vary is about a 1/16th on occasion but generally it is right on.

tollerdad

Are you guys running wide material 60" or narrow 38" for d/s banners?. We were running wide and would get buckling and 2 banners would be ruined. Always happend on second side. Also how low are you dropping temps and what vinyl have you found works best. We are running a GS6000.

Thanks

rfulford

:( I don't want to have to go in and disable the take-up reel to have it feed backwards when nothing's on the reel, then re-able it when I'm ready to print; why did no one at Epson ever think of this...

The take up reel works fine with auto take up disabled in the printer setup menu. I can't think of a reason to ever turn it back on.

Graphics2u

It's that "non-centering" that was giving me trouble, I'll try the offsetting option next time. I've been aligning it right(left?) and marking the roll location on the printer also, but then you have to remove the media and feed it from the other end (which doesn't have the marks) to get it right aligned again.

I appreciate the tips!
You need to feed the material the same direction so you can use your marks you made and then rotate the print in your RIP so it prints the correct way.

Graphics2u

Are you guys running wide material 60" or narrow 38" for d/s banners?. We were running wide and would get buckling and 2 banners would be ruined. Always happend on second side. Also how low are you dropping temps and what vinyl have you found works best. We are running a GS6000.

Thanks
I have to turn temps down to like 35 on the second side sometimes lower. Yuo can leave the Drier heat turned up.

GoodPeopleFlags

What he said. I like to leave slack in the material that's coming off the roll before it goes into the printer. I just unroll it off the roll until it almost reaches the ground and keep an eye on it. That seems to stop the buckling.

Also try letting it sit for about an hour before printing the 2nd side. And turn the heat down.