• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why is laminated perf giving me so many problems?

J

john1

I got in lamex lam and Fellers solvex perf today, printed it this morning and laminated and applied later this evening.

For some reason it's giving me air in areas of the laminate while applying to the back window of my vehicle. Conforming isn't a problem, it's the darn bubbles randomly. I'll pull up and apply then i'll see other areas where this happens.

Bubbles are of course in the pef holes and it looks GREAT before applying...

I tried using a regular plastic squeegee and a felt one with same results no matter how much pressure.

i normal use an aerosol spray lam for window perf and it works out alright... we dont offer the same warranty on perf as we do on typical vinyl.

CheapVehicleWrap

Sound like you don't have enough experience with it. I wouldn't bother with spray lam, the ink will outlast the perf. no lam is basically end-user installable.

ProWraps

its your install technique. you are trapping air in the holes when installing. its typical with lam'ed perf.

try to adjust your technique a bit and you will be fine.

spectracolor

I got in lamex lam and Fellers solvex perf today, printed it this morning and laminated and applied later this evening.

For some reason it's giving me air in areas of the laminate while applying to the back window of my vehicle. Conforming isn't a problem, it's the darn bubbles randomly. I'll pull up and apply then i'll see other areas where this happens.

Bubbles are of course in the pef holes and it looks GREAT before applying...

I tried using a regular plastic squeegee and a felt one with same results no matter how much pressure.

Give it a few weeks and the sun will do its magic and even out most of the bubbles on perforated.

anotherdog

I wish I had a customer who was happy to wait a few weeks for whatever imperfection was in the sign to "work" its way out.

Fireguy

I have been in the same situation as you are in now.... It costs alot more for laminate but look at the oraguard 290GF. It is optically clear and made to conform to curves of the windows better. the lamex is designed for flat surfaces..

Hope this helps..

Also.. consider using edge sealer for the outside border to help keep the image from curling up on you..

Good luck and Happy Printing!!

:wavingflag:

J

john1

lol i have no problems applying to the curve of the window. It's simply giving me bubbles in the perf holes in random areas.

What technique should i be using to prevent this? I did a center hinge.

AUTO-FX

i just checked on a couple i did a few weeks ago. i didnt have bubbles but there was uneven "streaking" from squeegee when i installed. looks great now.sunshine.

J

john1

Alright so i printed/laminated another and will install it this evening.

So pretty much, don't use alot of pressure and i'm good?

Thanks everybody!

J

john1

Here is my problems, From the inside it's hazy which is typical with the optically clear lam from what i'm reading and i read a few posts up the marks from the squeegee will disappear in a few days?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 184
J

john1

Yep, i used lamex optically clear lam from Fellers.

Thanks guys, I can't wait to see it clear up. I kind of don't believe the bubbles and streaks will but i trust you guys. I'm excited about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Good that you have that sorted out.
Now about that flaming diamond plate fill.......

wayne k
guam usa

J

john1

Well it's not sorted out yet, How long do you think til the streaks and bubbles go away on this ProWraps?

WB

Another thing you might want to consider is to let you prints day for a day or to before you laminate and apply. the streaks and haziness will go away give it time.

greglauter

Well it's not sorted out yet, How long do you think til the streaks and bubbles go away on this ProWraps?

I print the window perf and allow at least 24 hours drying time, reason? the ink trapped in the little holes (on backing) will not dry in anytime less than 24 and guess where the ink goes when you laminate over the perf and backing (wet)? That's right on the laminate, which will cause a "foggy" appearance once applied to the window. Here's how I do it, after my 24 hour dry time, I use Oracal 290 and laminate, install = hinge in center as you mentioned with a felt squeegee, apply moderate pressure. Once completed you will most definitely have a few tiny bubbles here and there and there will be a ton of "squeegee marks" all over, use a needle for the big bubbles and let the sun take over from there. Here's the key! Communicate with your customers BEFORE the install letting them know it will not look perfect once completed. I tell them the window perf/laminate needs time to bake in the sun and "relax" onto the window and only time and heat will accomplish that. I tell them 2 weeks if it doesn't look perfect, bring it back and we will check it out. So, like Prowraps said give it time (1-2 weeks) and you will see it look like a million bucks...just my 2 cents

:toasting:

J

john1

I print the window perf and allow at least 24 hours drying time, reason? the ink trapped in the little holes (on backing) will not dry in anytime less than 24 and guess where the ink goes when you laminate over the perf and backing (wet)? That's right on the laminate, which will cause a "foggy" appearance once applied to the window. Here's how I do it, after my 24 hour dry time, I use Oracal 290 and laminate, install = hinge in center as you mentioned with a felt squeegee, apply moderate pressure. Once completed you will most definitely have a few tiny bubbles here and there and there will be a ton of "squeegee marks" all over, use a needle for the big bubbles and let the sun take over from there. Here's the key! Communicate with your customers BEFORE the install letting them know it will not look perfect once completed. I tell them the window perf/laminate needs time to bake in the sun and "relax" onto the window and only time and heat will accomplish that. I tell them 2 weeks if it doesn't look perfect, bring it back and we will check it out. So, like Prowraps said give it time (1-2 weeks) and you will see it look like a million bucks...just my 2 cents

:toasting:

I hope it clears up, it seems the outside bubbles aren't as noticeable already after a few days of 90 degree weather but here are some shots from the inside, it looks terrible but idk if this is normal with perf.

I was hoping to offer this service to my customers but i don't feel it's up to par with acceptable IMO

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 200

ProWraps

you need to relax. educate your customers. let them know the process and the outcome. it sounds like your lack of experience is leading to your lack of knowledge.

dont sweat it. we have told you what the outcome will be. sit tight, see how it works, then offer it to your client.

we all start somewhere. you are doing the right thing and starting on your own vehicle. nothing happens in one day. give it time.