• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Will new Windows 11 work with omega 6.5?

Jburns

good question - I don't know the answer. I have both 6.5 and 7.0 but haven't used the 7.0 - too lazy and don't want to mess up my preferences.

perhaps someone can tell us if it has a compatibility mode - i.e. - run a program as windows 7 on a windows 10 device, now run a program as windows 10 on a windows 11 device.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Firstly, Windows 11 isn't released yet for any real answers.
Secondly, Windows 10 end of life isn't until 2025.

But, as far as i've seen. Most software that works on Win10 will work on Win11.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
if using conversion cables (s->usb,p->usb) make sure updating to win 11 doesn't reinstall the old drivers or you'll have to del and reinstall the gerber ones not a big deal but a PITA

WildWestDesigns

I'll never understand this thought process with being on the latest and greatest in a production environment when there is still 4 yrs left before a known good version that is still supported goes EOL.

I don't think that Win 11 is going to be out for general availability until October, until then, one has to be in the Insider Program to get a copy of it (something that I wouldn't suggest especially in a production environment). Even if it's October and Win 11 is out available now, I would let other people deal with the teething pain before I do. Let the forums fill up with posts of how to get x, y and z running with Win 11.

Keep in mind too about the minimum requirements. I've already mentioned one in an early post, but I also noticed that Win 11's minimum requirement is 4GBs of RAM. That's one hungry OS (why does it need to be that "bloated" I have to wonder) given what the min requirements of past 64bit Windows OSs have been. Now granted, "your" programs may still run, but with the extra resource requirements of the base OS being significantly more, how is that going to affect the experience of using the program that you need to run? I can just see OEMs saying: "Need to get the latest and greatest of 'x' [program] to be able to effectively work with Win 11".

Adam.Foster

It is unknown at this time as Windows 11 has not been released as of 7-26-21. I can say that Omega 6.5 was released in 2017 so it's unlikely to get any updates going forward. Omega 7 is now the current Gerber software.