• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will this hold???????

RyanFelty

Okay so I am going to install 2 4'x6' plexi signs into drywall and these things are very heavy. I have 6 holes for standoffs one in each corner and one in the middle top and bottom will anchors and standoffs hold these bad boys up???

Si Allen

Hopefully until the check clears!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IF you can screw the standoffs into the wall studs .... you will be OK!

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
silly question since allen did suggest it ... DID you look for studs when you quoted the job? and why so little amount of standoffs for such a large piece of plexi? and how thick is the plexi? Is this routed plexi or square piece of plexi?

RyanFelty

it is 3/16' plexi and it is just a rectancle with rounded corners...I just saw there are 2 in the middle on the sides too so i have 8 standoffs. I did not get to see the job our sales rep saw it and explained it to my dad so I am just thrown in on the install and production of these. Nowboys checked for studs. One is actually going into a stone wall which i am not too worried about but the dry wall scares me. I am just thinking what I can bring to be properly prepared.

bring an assortment of anchors. For drywall my favorite are the ones with cable ties that pull the 'backer'inside the wall...tight to the backside of the drywall. If I have failed to describe the style let me know & I will dig up a link. This is the only way I would feel confident installing a sign of this size & weight without installing into studs.

Pat Whatley

I'd have done 4 across the top and bottom instead of three but what you've got will support the weight of the plexi.....it's really just a question if the attachment to the drywall is secure.

signage

This ancor should be fine!
I think this is what Just another sign guy is talking about.

Attachments

• drywall anchor.jpg
    drywall anchor.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 97

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
anchors are the way to go, as others have stated go heavy duty. I probably would have done a stand off every 18" to 24" to better distribute the weight, but that is just me doing the over engineering thing .... make sure you get a stud or three on the top row (more centered the better) and you'll have a better chance at longevity. other that that if the dry wall is 5/8ths inch or thicker ... also the better off you'll be.

I wish you luck on the install.

Tigertron

Those are very cool. Great idea. So does home depot or lowes have them? I have a project waiting for that. looks like they need a big hole like toggle bolts.

Anyway dry wall should be hung on studs with 16" centers. So find those and put at least two on studs and the rest with anchors it should hold.

moz

Use toggle bolts

You should be fine with toggle bolts, the key is making sure the anchor is fully seated behind the drywall. If it is an office interior you will be dealing with metal studs. Just drill through these all the way and make sure your toggle gets behind these as well. Also make sure you have a standoff that is wide enough to provide some stability on the surface of the drywall. I use 3/4" diam. for signs up to 30x40 and anything larger I use 1" diam at a minimum.

nwsigns

6 is more than enough with the right anchors. I like the screw in type metal anchors which are rated at 75lb ea. I have hung many 1/2" thick panels that size with them.

RyanFelty

Thanks for all the help guys they are up and sturdy. I went to home depot and got some anchors with toggle bolts!