• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Win 10 May update beware ! From verge news

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
From verge news

Windows 10’s big May 2019 Update is blocked on PCs using USB storage

A weird issue with an easy workaround

Microsoft hasn’t officially released Windows 10’s May 2019 Update to everyone just yet, but the company is already warning of a very weird bug with it. Microsoft is blocking the update on PCs that have a USB hard disk like a thumb drive attached, or machines with an SD Card in the SD Card reader. “Inappropriate drive reassignment can occur on eligible computers that have an external USB device or SD memory card attached during the installation of the May 2019 update,” warns a Microsoft support article.

This means that if you had a USB drive with the D: letter assigned by Windows, after the May 2019 Update it could have shifted along to E: instead. That wouldn’t cause a lot of headaches for most consumers, but for tightly managed business machines any drive letter change could be a big problem. Microsoft is now blocking the May 2019 Update on machines with this storage attached, and all you’ll need to do is remove any USB or SD storage to complete the upgrade.

Microsoft notes “this issue will be resolved in a future servicing update for Windows 10,” but that clearly won’t be available in time for when the company starts distributing this May 2019 Update later next month. Windows 10 testers on the Release Preview ring can already get access to the final May 2019 Update, and Microsoft is being far more careful with its last-minute testing this time around.

The previous October 2018 Update hit some file deletion issues when it first rolled out, and Microsoft clearly doesn’t want a repeat of any similar issues. Still, it’s strange that Microsoft only detected this USB storage issue late in the May 2019 Update, when it has millions of Windows 10 testers helping flag issues like these.

WildWestDesigns

I saw that as well.

And the hits just keep on coming. Although not as horrific as some other updates, it does continue to highlight the issue of MS updates.

unclebun

So if you have a drive plugged into SD reader or a USB, you won't get the update. Big deal. Most people would be happy not to get the update.

WildWestDesigns

So if you have a drive plugged into SD reader or a USB, you won't get the update. Big deal. Most people would be happy not to get the update.

No, it won't "complete the upgrade", that's different then not getting any vestige of the upgrade in the first place.

Probably still use your computer's bandwidth to deploy the update to others as well (unless you've opt out of that).

They aren't going to make it that easy to not be able to get the update.

KY_Graphics_Gal

Every time we get a Windows update here in my office it screws up everything and I have to call in IT to fix it which costs me $$ that I shouldn't have to spend. If I could afford it, I would scrap all the PCs and move strictly to Mac.

unclebun

Maybe you should ask your IT people to undo whatever it is they've done to make Windows Updates break things so they can be paid to come fix it.

We have 5 PC's and a server on our network, networked printers, and so on. All the PC's are on Windows 10 except for an old one that is on XP to run an old machine when we need it. We have automatic updates running, and have not yet had an update break anything.

Even when you read the reports of what Windows Update breaks, it's typically something that is an unusual situation or combination of things that leads to the problem.

WildWestDesigns

If I could afford it, I would scrap all the PCs and move strictly to Mac.

Macs are PCs and they to have their update issues on occasion. Those that got the High Sierra initial feature update were met with a root bug issue. Then to fix that, it broke the App Store, then they got that fixed only to have the very next update break the App Store again.

Some are less then others, but like I've said, updates always bring about instability, just the MS is actually particularly worse then the others.

All the PC's are on Windows 10 except for an old one that is on XP to run an old machine when we need it. We have automatic updates running, and have not yet had an update break anything.

Even when you read the reports of what Windows Update breaks, it's typically something that is an unusual situation or combination of things that leads to the problem.

Not everyone has issues, but that doesn't mean that there aren't those that do and to have production rigs on the internet in the first place, is a big no no, that's just inviting issues like this.

My dad has been running Win 10 since 2015. Every (and I do mean every) new feature update has broken something and he doesn't run any niche software like we do, doesn't do anything specialized with his rig. Now, he does run bleeding edge component compared to others and I'm sure that it contributes to that.

If an OS maker is forcing updates, they should be perfect. Especially if they are forcing major feature updates (security updates only, I could understand and have more leeway with those, not feature updates).

Even running Manjaro (which is Arch based, but only on my personal computers, I use LTS versions on my production rigs) when there are major kernel updates, I have yet to have an issue compared to my dad's with Win 10.

Not a lot of people have issues, but quite a few do and it's unacceptable especially in a production environment.

shoresigns

Probably still use your computer's bandwidth to deploy the update to others as well (unless you've opt out of that).

Thanks, I didn't know about this. However, it looks like the default setting on my Windows 10 machine is sharing updates with the LAN only, not WAN, which is contrary to reports online that say WAN is the default.

WildWestDesigns

Thanks, I didn't know about this. However, it looks like the default setting on my Windows 10 machine is sharing updates with the LAN only, not WAN, which is contrary to reports online that say WAN is the default.

That may have changed with an update.

There used to be ways to block Win 10 updates using Win 10's own tools (forcing an ethernet connection to be considered a wireless "metered" connection etc) that have been plugged. Things do change.

I think with the May update even Home users may be able to hold off on updates like Pro and Enterprise users (although Enterprise users are going to be on the timeline of Pro users and not on their own slower branch as well)), so things do change over time.

KY_Graphics_Gal

It's just tough for a small business owner that doesn't understand half of the tech-talk in the above posts. I'm a whiz at Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc... And I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to networking. We run 5 Windows PCs + network printers and if it goes down, production comes to a halt. We are in a very small town so IT people can't just hop on over any time I need something.

Yep, I just wish Windows wouldn't force me to update. Why fix it if it ain't broke??

WildWestDesigns

It's just tough for a small business owner that doesn't understand half of the tech-talk in the above posts.

I grew up with computers, I was in single digits when DOS was around in school. Plus, I actually like using computers and messing with them, while I'm not a programmer by any means, I do enjoy them just beyond a means to an end. Which considering my business runs of computers, that's a good thing. Not everyone has that and I think that adds to the issue.

Plus, most people using closed source OSs and/or programs, so the likelihood of being able to fix anything without certain toolkits or just having to wait for someone else period to fix something (if they ever do, *cough* Oct '18 major update *cough*) is a booger. The route that I've gone, even if there is an update that breaks something, I do have the ability to fix it myself. Plus, I think the OS makers did some disservice with making OSs too laid back in their operation.

While the 9X era had many faults (even though I personally never experienced them, much like those that say Win 10 updates are no big deal because they have never had any issues with them), Win 98 is still my favorite (and I still use it in VMs to this day) and it is still the most powerful. Not so much in processing power or anything like that, but in what they user can do with it. We had far more freedom back then on that install versus what we have now.

Yep, I just wish Windows wouldn't force me to update. Why fix it if it ain't broke??

Unfortunately, this isn't very true. At least not in my estimation, so take it for what that is worth.

Windows has yrs of legacy bloat and with that comes legacy vulnerabilities. I can't remember a vulnerability that isn't discussed out there with regard to Win 10 that hasn't existed since the beginnings of the 9x era (that would be Win 95). That's a long time for a vulnerability to exist.

With this movement to always being connected to the internet (be it for SaaS software (web based or locally installed, doesn't matter) or to be able to take advantage of certain features of either programs and/or the OS) have to keep up with at bare minimum security updates. Things are always changing/evolving and nothing is ever perfect.

That's why I can understand if they forced security updates (and only security updates) as they also have less chance of breakage then the major feature updates (which have always broken my dad's install).

WildWestDesigns

Another "warning" about the May update.

While not like other warnings with regard to updates and probably won't be an issue for quite a few on here, it is something to think about. I agree with the portion in the article that talks about it only going to get higher.

The tinfoil hatter in me has to wonder what else may be going on in this particular update. Especially since more likely then not, users are going to want to have the ability to defer updates regardless of if they have HOME, PRO, and/or ENTERPRISE versions of the OS (step in the right direction having this control in the update process, but still far, far short (at least in my mind) and certainly not enough to make me even remotely think about moving back to Windows (especially with enjoying where I'm at too much)).

If "you" want people to get something that isn't going to be palatable to them, wrap it up in something that they want/need (in this case, some "control" over the update process). Now, there may not be anything, this is pure speculation on my part, I just have to wonder what is going to go into the update.