• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Win/XP amulator on Window7 home addition?

anozira02

Trying to find Window's XP virtual emulator compatible with Window7 home addition. It seems they only have the virtual XP for Window7 Professional and the Ultimate addition. Does anyone knows if it could be run on the Win-Home addition?

SignBurst PCs

I have Win 7 pro, and the XP emulator sucks. It is a complete resource hog.

I have had very good results with XP Mode in Windows 7. But as with any virtualization, you need to have adequate resources on the host PC.

Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate have XP Mode capability.

SignBurst PCs

I would think 6 gigs of ram would be enough resouce

6GB of RAM should be more than enough. We have been playing with 8GB and i3/i5/i7 CPUs. Your bottleneck could be a number of things, but CPU would be my guess if you have that much RAM. A lot of CPUs were not even compatible with XP Mode as they did not support virtualization. Then, MS put out a patch for that allowing XP Mode, even if the CPU didn't support vitualization.

I did raise the default RAM usage in the Virtual PC to 2GB and everything has been running smoothly. The only thing I have noticed so far is that I have to reclaim a USB dongle that I was using every time I start up Flexi.

I have played with Virtual PC (XP Mode) on many systems (Windows 7/Vista/XP)and it has been pretty good as long as the PC is adequately equipped. I am not certain why the software "sucks" on your particular PC. I am just stating, that in my experience, in most cases, it does what it is supposed to do.

anozira02

6GB of RAM should be more than enough. We have been playing with 8GB and i3/i5/i7 CPUs. Your bottleneck could be a number of things, but CPU would be my guess if you have that much RAM. A lot of CPUs were not even compatible with XP Mode as they did not support virtualization. Then, MS put out a patch for that allowing XP Mode, even if the CPU didn't support vitualization.

I did raise the default RAM usage in the Virtual PC to 2GB and everything has been running smoothly. The only thing I have noticed so far is that I have to reclaim a USB dongle that I was using every time I start up Flexi.

I have played with Virtual PC (XP Mode) on many systems (Windows 7/Vista/XP)and it has been pretty good as long as the PC is adequately equipped. I am not certain why the software "sucks" on your particular PC. I am just stating, that in my experience, in most cases, it does what it is supposed to do.

That's comforting to know....:frustrated:

choucove

As it has been stated before, XP Mode is only natively supported in the Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate versions, but not in the Windows 7 Home Premium version. That being said, however, you can still get XP Mode to work in Home Premium with a little work, the problem is that it is not a licensed version and will not activate properly thus causing problems with software and updates.

Tom's Hardware recently had a news article about this topic on their site.