• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Win7 Pro Licensing Question???

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I feel stupid for even asking this, but here goes. Someone offered to sell me Win7 Pro last night for $75.00 ($200 program I think). They said two installations of it are allowed and they installed it on one computer already. Would I be able to install it and register it as well from a different ISP or will Bill raise hell? I'm thinking it's a no go.

choucove

This would be a no go. The retail version of Windows 7 Professional will allow you to install the application more than once (in the case of having to reformat or installing on a new upgraded computer) but can only be running and activated on a single computer at a time. This means, if he's already installed and activated it once, then you installing and activating with the same license would be infringement on that license.

cptcorn

adad
The bigger question is this.

Are the keys different? This guy might not be trying to rip you off. Many places offered a 3 license package deal. Ask to see his receipts.

Dice

No Dice, Not kosher. It's supposed to be 1 copy per computer. Unless it's a Family Pack, but this is only available for the home version.

The EULA states the following:

The Windows 7 desktop operating system software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis for consumers. In this context, a computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer. Users may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer”. Users may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time.

If users are considered a “Qualified Family Pack User”, they may install one copy of the software marked as “Family Pack” on three computers in their household for use by people who reside there. The software bought may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. Users may install and use only one version at one time.

BrianKE

There is actually a version of Windows 7 that allows for installation on 3 computers (see here). However, this is only for Home Premium. It was released as an upgrade option for families so they didn't have to purchase multiple copies.

If this a Premium or Ultimate version I would guess that it is not a valid copy. Probably a volumetric license from a large company or university that this guy is trying to sell.