• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wind Slits (again)

Slamdunkpro

I hate them, but you can't fight city hall when they insist.

Has anyone every tried using their printer/cutter to cut the slits? I hate cutting all these damn things on 6 30 foot banners by hand.

Craig Sjoquist

Wind slits are the best for making banners last longer outside..These days people say .. wind slits are not needed... well all I know is banners with wind slits do last longer, see it all the time. so don't fuss cut a few wind slits in your next banner... use a coffee can or any can as a pattern. easy

weaselboogie

I'm not a fan of windslits, so I would do the minimum amount that they would require. If there isn't a number, Just do three small ones across the middle.

signage

Cutter are designed to cut materials that have a carrier sheet. If you cut without one plan on replacing you cutting strip soon after.

ddubia

I hate cutting all these damn things on 6 30 foot banners by hand.

I hate them altogether. They don't help and are a pain to cut.

When I worked in a large format printing company they had a hand-held die with a half-moon blade. You held it in place and struck it with a hammer. With one whack you had a wind slit.

If you have to cut them by hand, by any method, get a 1/4" diameter/hole die and punch a hole at the end of each wind slit cut. That will eliminate some of the stress at the ends of the cut which will make it less likely to tear at that point.

mark in tx

Cutting them with your printer or plotter is a bad idea, not impossible.

Might as well take sides, windslits are a bad idea. Mounting the banner with bungee cord is a better idea.

petepaz

I hate them altogether. They don't help and are a pain to cut.

When I worked in a large format printing company they had a hand-held die with a half-moon blade. You held it in place and struck it with a hammer. With one whack you had a wind slit.

If you have to cut them by hand, by any method, get a 1/4" diameter/hole die and punch a hole at the end of each wind slit cut. That will eliminate some of the stress at the ends of the cut which will make it less likely to tear at that point.

this is what we use, see lay out attached
we also make steel rule dies so we just made one in house, works great

Attachments

• wind slit die.jpg
    wind slit die.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 60

petepaz

do we have to say to make sure you always have the half circle going down
so the wind slit doesn't fold over while the banner is up...haha