• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wind slits

Aardvark Printing

I'm putting up a 8' x 97' mesh banner that will wrap completely around a side walk dining area under a canopy.
This will be up for a few months while the business is closed during a remodel. Do yo thing wind slits are necessary?
It will have grommets every 2' attached to the canopy frame top and bottom. Any comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Mock up.jpg
    Mock up.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 298

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I agree with both comments above. Post some photos when you’re done! (and don’t forget to put them on your Facebook page and google my business profile)

fixtureman

You are right about the wind load. I installed sat dishes back in the 80 and a solid dish had the same wind load as a screen one due to the fact of the turbulance the screen caused

DL Signs

Never go against the family
The wind slits lessen the wind load exerted on the structure it's attached to. No slits needed on a mesh banner. Examine the canopy frame, be sure it will support the extra stress exerted by the banner.
Exactly... Poles will usually fail before a banner does. With mesh, as long as what they're mounted to is structurally sound, you shouldn't have any issues unless conditions are so bad that people shouldn't be outside anyway. We have an annual music festival on an island in the river, and they put a large banner up over a pedestrian bridge for it, the poles had bent a few times, snapped off once over the years during storms, even with wind slits. Amazingly the banners themselves were still in tact. No problems since they went to mesh.

Aardvark Printing

Exactly... Poles will usually fail before a banner does. With mesh, as long as what they're mounted to is structurally sound, you shouldn't have any issues unless conditions are so bad that people shouldn't be outside anyway. We have an annual music festival on an island in the river, and they put a large banner up over a pedestrian bridge for it, the poles had bent a few times, snapped off once over the years during storms, even with wind slits. Amazingly the banners themselves were still in tact. No problems since they went to mesh.
Winters are pretty mild here. If were up in the summer I might worry.

2B

NO WIND SLITS!!!!!!!!! no matter what material.

if you are already doing mesh, why add slits?
typically this is for safety and so adding slits only allows people access to the interior easier