• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window film recommendation

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Client has grey vinyl on the INSIDE of the windows they want to replicate. I'm thinking the only option is cut vinyl... but is there a product that I could use that is air release that gives that grey look or do I have to tough it out and use regular cut vinyl?

5410943637e5624bf5890b36f13a4e056f2e4589-1.jpg

signheremd

Not tough to do, just do it wet with Rapid Tac or comparable. You can mask the vinyl if you want to prevent scratches, and cut it to size - or cut it close and trim at install. Just mist the window and the adhesive side of the vinyl, use a squeegee with a felt or microfiber coated edge, push the liquid to the edges, spray the masking lightly and use your hand to wipe it evenly, let sit for 30 seconds and then the masking will come off easily. Do next window and then come back and trim if needed.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'd probably not using masking. I was thinking of wet install but I've very rarely done that over my career... but this might be a job for it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Frosted Arlon Ever etch is much easier to install than 3m dusted crystal at a decent discount, air release, and avery had one that I tried recently. At this time of year, I'd avoid wet install.
Could you just slap any air release with the grey adhesive on there and call it a day? Do they care what color it is from inside, or are there desks and junk in front of the windows they're trying to hide?
They are trying to hide the desks and junk. It's not frosted vinyl... a solid color. And will be done from the inside to match the others.

I might try the calendared vinyl with a wet install and see if I can make that work. If not, I priced it well enough to cover cast w/ air release if I have to go that route. I know last time I did bottom windows full coverage cut vinyl it wasn't air release and a royal PITA being crouched down on the ground trying to install without bubbles... but that was dry install so maybe the wet will help. They are wanting 39 windows done so whatever I come up with needs to be tolerable.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
A wet install with grey calendered vinyl should be a piece of cake on this as long as you get a wide enough roll to cut them as single panels. We’re doing about thirty 36x80” ish assorted sized windows tomorrow and we’re going on the outside with printer vinyl but with a little practice this is way easier than air release vinyl (and cheaper!)

-with a wet apply you pretty much need the panels cut exactly to size or ideally 1/8” or so smaller in both w and h. If it overlaps the window gaskets you’ll end up with a pocket of liquid there and there’s no good way to perfectly stick it down although often even if you’re a little off on this it all looks fine.
-thicker is easier but I would probably just go with 3.X mil whatever and you’ll be fine. If you’re really worried you could laminate someone over the thinner vinyl to bump it to 6mil ish and it’ll install even easier.
-again overkill but you could print grey on clear, lam over it with white (or printed vinyl) and cut. These thick panels will go on like a breeze if they are cut core
-bring towels to place along the floor
-I like regular dawn in water as it tacks up slower than rapid-tack and is cheaper as well. We use those 2 gallon pump sprayers or big spray bottle
-felt edge 6” squeegees are your friend, preferably stiff Teflon ones

You could do air release but I personally can’t see any benefit and it’s definitely slower

Clive Turner

Intercoat Fully Printable Bubble Free Air Escape Silver Frosted Vinyl would be the product to use for that job. Intercoat much cheaper than any other frosted product on the market.

signheremd

They are trying to hide the desks and junk. It's not frosted vinyl... a solid color. And will be done from the inside to match the others.

I might try the calendared vinyl with a wet install and see if I can make that work. If not, I priced it well enough to cover cast w/ air release if I have to go that route. I know last time I did bottom windows full coverage cut vinyl it wasn't air release and a royal PITA being crouched down on the ground trying to install without bubbles... but that was dry install so maybe the wet will help. They are wanting 39 windows done so whatever I come up with needs to be tolerable.
You might consider getting a creeper stool or knee creeper:

petepaz

i use mactac B-Free frost/etch material it's air release and dry install. use it all the time with no issues. if you get small wrinkles you can usually get them out with a little heat from the torch

Attachments

• frosted windows.jpg
    frosted windows.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 70
  • glass etch-frost window.jpg
    glass etch-frost window.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 68

bigben

Whatever material you use, wet apply without mask and use a felt squeegee
I use a window tint squeegee. Just need to wet the surface to make it glide. I use the same tool for frosted vinyl without premask. It push the water behind the film alot better than any other squeegee.

Attachments

• window squeegee.jpg
    window squeegee.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 55