• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Graphics Trimming

dlndesign

I have a client that had a few vehicles wrapped, they complained that the window perf was coming up when they washed, so we changed the last job to trim back the window perf and then we applied a clear 1/4" border around the edge to keep the graphics from lifting up. They love it now I need to do the remainder of the windows. I am looking for a clean way to do this without scratching there windows with a blade. Does anyone recommend a tool or technique that I can accomplish this with? Thanks.

Fellers did sell a knife with a guide on it specifically for this. I bought one a few years ago, it works really well if the edge of the window or trim is thick enough.

johnnysigns

Lately I just rubber band or tape two stainless Olfa blades together. One's obviously offset and is the guide so you can follow the window contour.

racer734

what we do is just rest the blade on the side of your finger and run your finger around the outside edge of the window, basically giving you a 1/4inch all the way around. Sounds like your applying quite abit of pressure if your scratching the heck out of the window.

racer734

what we do is just rest the blade on the side of your finger and run your finger around the outside edge of the window, basically giving you a 1/4inch all the way around. then apply the edge tape. Sounds like your applying quite a bit of pressure if your scratching the heck out of the window.

CheapVehicleWrap

We don't worry about the scratches, the perf will cover these up for the most part. If the window is too bad we made some "This vehicle equipt with unique window etching as a security measure" stickers. It's when we cut through the glass that problems arise, as the window become that much smaller and doesn't fully close anymore. Then we have to explain that glass is a constantly moving substance and yours must have moved 1/4" down.

Last edited: